UM looks to defend Big East title

The Miami Hurricanes could not have entered the Big East Tournament on a better note.
The ‘Canes defeated Notre Dame 6-1 in their final match of the regular season, which was good enough to vault them back into the top 20. However, now it’s time for the real season, according to head coach Page Yaroshuk.
“The season is far from over,” Yaroshuk said. “The most important part of the season is in front of us.”
Miami holds the No.1 seed in this weekend’s tournament at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, finishing the regular season with a 15-5 record and a No. 19 ranking. The Hurricanes await the winner of the Virginia Tech-Rutgers first round match. The goal is nothing short of another conference title for Yaroshuk’s squad.
“They understand that they’re in control of their own destiny,” Yaroshuk said. “Every time we step out onto the court we have the talent and the ability. They step out and they play aggressive tennis, and they play to win rather than not to lose. This team could go very far in the NCAAs.”
Several ‘Canes have elevated their games as of late, including the doubles pairing of freshman Melissa Applebaum and sophomore Megan Bradley, who have won their last eight matches. Sophomore Staci Stevens has also contributed with eight consecutive singles victories.
As a whole, the Hurricanes are red hot with victories in four out of their last five contests, including wins against No.72 Old Dominion and No.65 Virginia Tech.
Still, Yaroshuk isn’t entirely satisfied with the team’s effort.
“We’re playing better tennis at every position than we were playing four weeks ago, but they all need to step up,” Yaroshuk said. “They all need to improve their level of tennis.”
At the same time, Yaroshuk knows there are two things that can be counted upon with the team.
“The talent’s here,” Yaroshuk said. “The talent’s always been here. The work ethic has always been here.”
Much of Miami’s success can also be attributed to sheer toughness. All season long, the Hurricanes have played through injuries and displayed heart, something Yaroshuk is proud of.
“No matter how much talent you have, you can’t be successful if you’re not out on the court. In the past, soreness has kept our kids off of the court,” Yaroshuk said. “With this group of girls, they’ve played through soreness, and that’s what you have to do as an elite athlete.”
“I think this year just being healthy, being on the court for every match and not having any players sit out due to injuries has really helped the program.”
The Hurricanes look to continue their hot play as the team sets its sight on the NCAA tournament. Miami has been ranked as high as No. 13 this season, and Yaroshuk sees the ‘Canes as one of the nation’s best.
“I think we can give any team a run for their money,” Yaroshuk said.
Miami plays its first game of the Big East Tournament tomorrow at 9 AM. The championship match will be played Sunday at noon.

Adam Aizer can be reached at Aizersgotflava@aol.com

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...