Student hit by student driver, dog dies during baseball game

A UM student was hit by a tan C230 Mercedes-Benz while watching an intramural semi-final baseball game Monday night. The victim, Elizabeth Ashley Moore, was watching the game from San Amaro Drive while holding what witnesses said was her roommate’s pug on a leash. The dog died at the scene.
Witnesses say that Moore was hit when she ran across the street, chasing a baseball that was overthrown. The next thing they heard were tires screeching and a thump.
“I heard yelling that someone had been hit by a car and immediately sent an employee to call 911,” Jason Carroll, assistant director for intramural activities and special events, said.
Moore was struck in the eastbound lane of San Amaro and Alhambra and thrown 15-20 feet in front of the Mercedes-Benz driven by a UM student. Moore landed on the windshield, causing the entire windshield to bend and splinter.
Officials at the scene were unclear if the dog was struck by the car or thrown from the impact. The dog landed in the westbound lane of San Amaro. According to UM officials, the dog is believed to have died at the scene.
The male driver refused to identify himself to The Miami Hurricane at the scene.
Dan Staloch, Moore’s boyfriend, was nearby on the baseball field when he heard his girlfriend had been hit by a car. At the scene, Staloch confirmed that Moore was conscious while she was in the Coral Gables Fire and Rescue vehicle that transported her to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Moore was released on Tuesday morning with a concussion and bruising. She could not be reached for comment.
Officer Barros of the Coral Gables Police Department confirmed Tuesday that the driver had not been charged yet since the accident was still under investigation. Whether any charges will be filed has yet to be determined. The driver was released from the scene and his car was impounded for further investigation.
As of press time officials working on the case say alcohol was not a factor in the accident, although speeding has not been completely ruled out.
Drivers frequently speed down San Amaro Drive, a one lane road that extends from Ponce De Leon Boulevard around the south side of the University. The Department of Public Safety ensures that it takes all the necessary precautions to protect the safety of students.
“San Amaro is a public street in Coral Gables,” Lt. William Gerlach, a spokesperson for Public Safety, said. “Our officers have the ability and can take action as necessary if they observe traffic violations.”
Currently, frequent radar operations are conducted by the Coral Gables Police Department on a frequent basis throughout the San Amaro and Ponce De Leon areas.
A complete copy of the official police report for this incident can be picked up at the Coral Gables Police Department, 2801 Salzedo Street, Case # 03-3722.

Cassandra Palanza can be contacted at c.palanza@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...