Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball
University of Miami women’s basketball standout Tamara James was named to the Honorable Mention All-America team by Kodak/WBCA and the Associated Press.
James was selected as one of the 48 finalists for the 2003 Division I Kodak/WBCA Women’s All-America Basketball Team. As a finalist, James automatically earns Honorable Mention All-America status.
James is the fourth Miami player, and the first UM freshman to garner Kodak/WBCA Honorable Mention All-America honors.
James is the UM first player to earn AP All-America honors.
She was also named to the Big East All-Rookie team, Big East Second team and the Big East All-Tournament team this season.
James led the conference in scoring all season with 21.0 points per game. She was also the highest scoring freshman in the nation at No. 10.
In addition, she was a five-time Big East Rookie of the Week pick. James started all 31 games for the Hurricanes this season, averaging 21.0 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
She recorded seven double-doubles and scored in double-digits in 30 games.
James’s jersey will also be placed in the Ring of Honor at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, TN.
At the conclusion of each season the Women’s Basketball of Fame, which opened in 1999, hangs the jerseys of all high school All-Americans, collegiate All-Americans and WNBA All-Stars from the past year.
This year’s jerseys will be placed in the Ring of Honor during the first week in May.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...