Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball
University of Miami women’s basketball standout Tamara James was named to the Honorable Mention All-America team by Kodak/WBCA and the Associated Press.
James was selected as one of the 48 finalists for the 2003 Division I Kodak/WBCA Women’s All-America Basketball Team. As a finalist, James automatically earns Honorable Mention All-America status.
James is the fourth Miami player, and the first UM freshman to garner Kodak/WBCA Honorable Mention All-America honors.
James is the UM first player to earn AP All-America honors.
She was also named to the Big East All-Rookie team, Big East Second team and the Big East All-Tournament team this season.
James led the conference in scoring all season with 21.0 points per game. She was also the highest scoring freshman in the nation at No. 10.
In addition, she was a five-time Big East Rookie of the Week pick. James started all 31 games for the Hurricanes this season, averaging 21.0 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 steals per game.
She recorded seven double-doubles and scored in double-digits in 30 games.
James’s jersey will also be placed in the Ring of Honor at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, TN.
At the conclusion of each season the Women’s Basketball of Fame, which opened in 1999, hangs the jerseys of all high school All-Americans, collegiate All-Americans and WNBA All-Stars from the past year.
This year’s jerseys will be placed in the Ring of Honor during the first week in May.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...