News Briefs

University of Miami School of Medicine physicians and programs were honored today with Health Care Heroes Awards presented by the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce.
Dr. Robert Schwartz, chairman of the School of Medicine’s Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, was the winner in the health care professionals category. Dr. Schwartz created a model health care partnership with Jackson Memorial Medical Center, the Public Health Trust and the Overtown Community Board to deliver full-service medical care in Overtown at the Jefferson Reaves Sr. Health Center.
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Holtz Children’s Hospital at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center received the Health Care Hero Award for institutions or programs. In accepting the award, Dr. G. Patricia Cantwell, director of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, paid tribute to her many colleagues who care for South Florida’s sickest children – and their families.
Thomas C. Doherty, who is retiring as director of the Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center, won the “individual of merit” award. The Miami VA is nationally recognized for several programs it conducts in partnership with the School of Medicine, including geriatric research, treatment of HIV/AIDS patients, spinal cord injury research and substance abuse treatment.
Dr. Bernard A. Roos, UM professor of geriatric medicine and chief academic officer of the Miami Jewish Home & Hospital for the Aged, was named a finalist in the health care professionals category.

During reading days and final exams the Richter Library will remain open 24 hours a day. The library will open on Saturday, April 26 at 9 a.m. and remain continuously open until Thursday, May 8. The library will close at 11 p.m. on May 8. For a detailed library schedule, visit the library website at www.library.miami.edu/general/hours.html.

A new University tradition begins this spring. Commencement will be held in an exciting new venue – the University of Miami Convocation Center. Combined ceremonies for all eligible undergraduates and graduate students will be held on Friday, May 9. Candidates may pick up their cap and gown on Tuesday and Wednesday, May 6 and 7, from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Thursday, May 8, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., at the Toppel Career Center. Call 305-284-5451 for more information.
The commencement ceremony for the School of Medicine will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 10, at the Convocation Center. The School of Law will hold its commencement ceremony at 2 p.m. on Sunday, May 18, at the Convocation Center. Candidates in these schools should contact their respective offices for details on regalia.
No tickets are required for the ceremonies. For more information about all commencement events, visit www.miami.edu/commencement.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...