Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis
University of Miami men’s tennis player Todd Widom was recently selected by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association for the ITA All-Star Team.
The ITA All-Star Team will represent the United States in Japan this summer from June 12 through 16.
According to a release from the ITA, the team will help Waseda University celebrate its 100th anniversary of tennis by competing in two exhibition matches in Tokyo.
Matches are scheduled to take place at Ariake Stadium, which holds a capacity of 10,000 spectators. On June 14 the All-Stars will face Waseda University, which earned the No. 1 ranking in Japan last year, and on June 15 they will face a Japanese All-Star Team. Both matches will use a format similar to the one World Team Tennis uses, which features men and women competing together on the same team in men’s and women’s singles, doubles and mixed doubles.
The Hurricanes first singles player was one of just 10 men’s and women’s players selected for the team.
Last season, Widom was an All-American selection having advanced to the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament.
Throughout the spring, Widom has been ranked in the top-20 (current ranking: 14th) and he has accumulated an 11-4 record in dual matches this season.
The ITA release elaborated, “Criteria for the player selections included: the player’s national ranking(s); sportsmanship, leadership and character; and tennis playing accomplishments, honors and awards. The selections were made by the ITA Board of Directors.”
The team will be coached by Bob Bayliss of Notre Dame and Ann Lebedoff of Pomona-Pitzer (Calif.) Colleges.

Track and field
The University of Miami women’s track and field team debuted at No. 25 in the season opening Trackwire 25 Outdoor Track and Field Poll released Tuesday.
The Hurricanes have two individuals and two relays ranked by Trackwire including two-time All-American Lauryn Williams who is fifth in the 100-meters, and freshman All-American Charlette Greggs who ranks 12th in the 400-meters.
UM’s 4×100-meter relay of freshman Dominique Darden, Greggs, senior Sharianne Lawson and Williams, ranks sixth in the nation, while the 4×400-meter relay of senior Sashanie Simpson, Greggs, senior Jamillah Wade and junior Kitoya Carter ranks fifth.
The Hurricanes host their final home meet of the season, the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic, this Saturday, April 12 at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables. Field events are scheduled to begin at noon, with track events starting at 5:15 p.m.

Women’s Tennis
The No. 19-ranked Miami women’s tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 16 William & Mary Sunday afternoon in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Miami falls to 14-5 overall while W&M improves to 19-4 on the season.
The Hurricanes fell despite winning the doubles point.
Melissa Applebaum teamed with Megan Bradley to beat No. 9 Kate Boomershine and Candice Fuchs 8-4 at No. 1 doubles.
Igna deVilliers and Abby Smith downed Kari Olsen and Lingda Yang 8-5 at No. 2 doubles.
Staci Stevens defeated Nina Kamp 6-7, 6-4, 1-0 (4) at the No. 4 spot in Miami’s only singles win.
The Hurricanes close out the season Saturday at 3 p.m. hosting Notre Dame.

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...