Speaker addresses human rights issues in Cuba

The Chief of Mission for the U.S. Interests Section, James C. Cason, came to UM to speak to the Cuban Transition Project about the struggle for human rights in Cuba.
Cason, a career foreign service officer, has spent the last eight months in Havana, Cuba, seeing first-hand the life of the average Cuban citizen and how it can be improved.
Following Fidel Castro’s recent crackdown on the regime opposition, the U.S. is focusing its policy toward Cuba on bringing back the citizens’ rights and opportunities.
“All of our allies agree that their policy goal in Cuba is, ultimately, the same as ours,” Cason said. “They want rapid and peaceful transition to a democratic government characterized by strong support for human rights and an open market economy.”
According to Cason, it was unclear what type of support the U.S. will offer Cuban citizens in the future, but in the past, the U.S. has interacted with many different members of society by inviting civil society representatives to participate in events. The U.S has also provided citizens with information on democratic ways via books, news clippings and Internet access, not readily available in Cuba.
UM students agree that most Cubans are facing a life of poverty and the U.S. needs to take an active role to get the citizens of Cuba their rights back.
Karen Salazar, junior, mentioned that some citizens ignore the fight for obtaining human rights.
“Some people are sucking up to the government to live a cushioned life,” Salazar said. “The majority are not so fortunate and are forced to live a life of poverty.”
Other students believe that the U.S. should take an active interest in Cuba, especially since it is so close to the U.S.
“Even though the U.S. made a few mistakes in its interactions with Cuba early on by letting Castro continue to gain power, they need to step up and help take Castro out of power now,” Michelle Panting, sophomore, said. “If we can go all the way to Iraq we can certainly help Cuba who is right there.”
Carson ended his speech with the idea that the Cuban people will have to decide how the Cuban government changes.
“Cubans will decide how the Cuba of tomorrow takes shape, and more importantly, the role that each Cuban will have in it,” Carson said.

Erin Wright can be contacted at ewright@umsis.miami.edu.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...