Yellow Rose presents ‘GENESIS’

The Yellow Rose Society, an organization comprised of mostly minority women that focuses on community outreach, academic achievement, peer education and leadership in order to promote unity, held their annual play, GENESIS, on Thursday night in the UC I-Lounge.
GENESIS is a play written, produced, directed and performed by the members of Yellow Rose Society that dramatically represents issues affecting young women.
“People have said that it was better this year then last year,” Christina Coleman, freshman, said. “I guess it just gets better and better every year.” The theme for this year’s play was “Sister to Sister. . . Words of Wisdom.”
This year, the play examined domestic violence and other issues. One skit depicted a girl leaving her boyfriend because of his drug use.
“It was a good thing because she made the right decision,” Coleman said.
Another skit looked at roommate issues ending with one roommate moving out.
“It showed how to solve problems and make things better,” Coleman said.
The Yellow Rose Society and GENESIS are also nominated for a SOAR award for Excellence in Programming in performance.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...