Sports Briefs

Women’s golf
Sophomore Tina Miller fired a tournament low round of 69 to lead the University of Miami women’s golf team to a third-place finish at the Ryder Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes, FL.
Miller (76-77-69-222) finished second individually, two-strokes behind tournament champion Kristin Tamulis who posted a three-round total of 220 (74-71-75). Tamulis, who was runner-up at last season’s Ryder Championship, finished one-under over the final three holes to hold off Miller’s final round charge.
Florida State won the team championship for the second consecutive season posting a total of 900 (298-291-311). South Florida recorded the day’s team low (303) and finished second with a total of 924 (317-304-303). Host Miami was third with a score of 940 (319-306-315).
Miami returns to action May 8-10 at the Big East Women’s Golf Championships in South Bend, IN.

Men’s Tennis
The No. 25-ranked University of Miami men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to South Florida Saturday in Tampa, ending a six-match win streak and possibly knocking them out of the Top 25.
The only Hurricane to take a point was Eric Hechtman, who defeated Andres Maroldt 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets.
UM also lost the doubles point as Hechtman and partner Todd Widom, who has completely recovered from an illness that plagued him earlier in the season, took the Hurricanes’ sole victory there, defeating Nadim Naser and Federico Barton 8-2.
With the loss, the Hurricanes fell to 12-6 and will take on Duke in Coral Gables next Sunday before competing in the Big East Championships.

Women’s tennis
The No. 19-ranked Miami women’s tennis team beat Old Dominion 7-0 in its fifth shutout of the season Saturday afternoon in Norfolk, Virginia.
The Hurricanes improve to 14-4 overall and will likely move up in the national rankings while the Lady Monarchs fall to 6-10 on the season.
Freshman Melissa Applebaum ranked No. 73 in the nation knocked off the No. 18 ranked player Nataly Cahana in singles action. Megan Bradley and Mari Toro easily handled their opponents as well. The doubles teams were all victorious.
Next weekend the Hurricanes will take on Notre Dame in Coral Gables to tune up for the Big East Championships, which start on April 25 in Coral Gables.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...