Sports Briefs

Women’s golf
For the 19th consecutive year, and the 20th in the 33-year history of the tournament, the University of Miami will host the Ryder/Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship, April 4-6, at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes, FL.
Competition will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday with Sunday’s final round beginning at 8:00 a.m. Admission is free.
The tournament features the best women’s collegiate golf in Florida, as 14 schools from the state come together for three rounds to determine the state champion.
This season’s championship will feature four teams ranked among the top-86 teams in the nation including defending champion and No. 21 ranked Florida State, 25th-ranked South Florida, No. 73 Miami and No. 86 Florida Atlantic. Rounding out the field are Barry, Bethune-Cookman, Florida International, Florida Southern, Jacksonville, Lynn, Nova Southeastern, Rollins, Stetson and UCF.
Miami, which has won the state title eight times, has been led this season by the duo of junior Camilla Hilland and sophomore Tina Miller.
Hilland, the defending individual champion, has finished in the top-20 in five of six starts this year including a victory at the John Kirk/Lady Panther Invitational during the fall season. She currently ranks 77th in the nation by Golfweek and has a team-best 74.6 stokes per round average.
Miller recorded her first career victory at the UCF Kat Invitational earlier this spring. She has five top-20 finishes this season and ranks second on the team with a 75.5 stoke average.
Other top individuals competing this weekend at the par-72, 6,317-yard course will be last season’s runner-up and 28th-ranked Kristin Tamulis of Florida State and 83rd-ranked Fany Schaeffer from South Florida.

Swimming and Diving
University of Miami diver Miguel Velazquez finished competing in the NCAA Championships Saturday night in Austin, Texas and left with All-American honors for the second year in a row.
The final event for the Gulliver Prep product was the men’s platform dive, in which he finished 10th overall with a score of 434.35.
Velazquez placed fourth-place Friday night in the men’s three-meter dive with a score of 624.95 to earn All-American designation.
“I was pleased particularly in the three-meter where he had his best performance,” coach Randy Ableman said. “He’s getting better and we’re making big plans for next year.”
Thursday, the Miami sophomore finished 17th overall with a score of 283.25 in the one-meter dive.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...