Miami unable to capitalize in extra inning loss

After the Miami Hurricanes baseball team wiped Georgia Tech out of the top ten last weekend, defeating FAU seemed like a less formidable task. However, the Owls, who entered the contest with a 27-7 record, had other ideas.
The No. 17 Owls, who once held the NCAA record with 34 consecutive victories, showed up with their game faces on and handed the Hurricanes their fifth loss of the season in a 5-3, 13-inning affair in front of 1,647 fans at Mark Light Stadium on Wednesday night.
FAU scored two runs in the top of the 13th to seal the victory for the Owls and end Miami’s eight-game winning streak.
“We missed a lot of opportunities,” UM head coach Jim Morris said. “We have been winning these types of games all along and this one got away from us.”
Miami came out completely flat after last weekend’s sweep on both sides of the ball. Starting pitcher Ryan Dixon pitched effectively but FAU capitalized on a Hurricanes error to take a 1-0 lead in the top of the second. Then, the Owls followed with a two run blast in the third to take a 3-0 lead.
“FAU came out and played great tonight,” Morris said.
FAU starter Danny Core would get a no decision in the game. Core had an impressive 5-1 record coming into the game with a 1.31 ERA.
Miami could not do anything with Core until the Hurricane offense woke up in the bottom of the fifth. That was when Miami shortstop Paco Figueroa drove in two runs with a double down the left field line.
In the Hurricane seventh, catcher Erick San Pedro walked with two outs and second baseman Adam Ricks moved him over to third with a single to center field before Core got out of the inning by striking out Paco Figueroa, protecting the Owls 3-2 lead.
The ‘Canes came up strong in the eighth inning when designated hitter Ryan Braun, named the NCBWA’s Hitter of the Week Tuesday, once again connected late in the game with a double to drive in Richard Giannotti.
Miami also blew another opportunity in the bottom of the ninth. With men at the corners and no outs, the ‘Canes were unable to score, sending the contest into extra innings.
“We had an opportunity to win the game with guys on first and third in the ninth,” Morris said. “We have to put the game away right there.”
This weekend UM will face a tough Oral Roberts Baseball squad at Mark Light Field. The series begins tonight at 7pm followed by a 5pm contest tomorrow. This is a change from the originally scheduled 7pm start. The teams will conclude the series on Sunday afternoon at 1pm and all games will be played at Mark Light Stadium.
“We are going to look past this game,” Morris concluded. “We’ve got to move on.”
Ryan Ellis can be reached at msgnyc@yahoo.com

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...