Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor:

How could anyone be as blatantly ignorant about condoms, birth control, sex, as Seth Bleicher has demonstrated himself to be, in his Tuesday, April 1st column? The University “gives out condoms” at the Health Center and at the Wellness Center- definitely not at the Canterbury Preschool. He complains that, “It’s a shame condoms are for males.” Well Seth, wake up and smell the latex-they make condoms for women also.
He also says he “think[s]birth control pills are easier.” Since when is taking a pill at the same exact time everyday, getting prescriptions filled, and completely changing the natural hormones of a woman’s body, easier than slipping on a condom? Let’s not forget that birth control pills are not effective protection against the STDs that infect one in every four sexually active people. Birth control also has many dangerous side effects. Unlike Seth’s belief that “at worst, they get cramps and clear skin,” the common side effects birth control pills can cause are vomiting, depression, abnormal bleeding, and weight change.
According to Seth, gyms and nutrition are to help people “look built,” and that “people are willing to waste hundreds of hours and spend thousands of dollars for what will result in a five-second orgasm.” Seth’s measly ambitions in the gym, and apparently in bed, are no reason to cause alarm. Most of us eat healthy foods and work out to stay in shape, for our own personal well-being; if that enhances the time we spend with our partners, I doubt anyone will complain.
Lastly, Seth complains about Victoria’s Secret selling thongs to pre-teens. This comment is so ridiculous that I only have to say that, when Seth’s sex “scientists” find the correlation between underwear preference and sexual behavior, be sure to let me know.
Seth wonders what’s next, “Fruit-flavored, chewable birth control pills shaped in Wilma Flintstone and Betty Rubble?” I think what should be next for Seth is some advice: I hear that wearing those condoms that are so much “work” can reduce sensitivity. Perhaps our minuteman should consider that.

Rachael Henrichsen, Junior

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...