Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor:

How could anyone be as blatantly ignorant about condoms, birth control, sex, as Seth Bleicher has demonstrated himself to be, in his Tuesday, April 1st column? The University “gives out condoms” at the Health Center and at the Wellness Center- definitely not at the Canterbury Preschool. He complains that, “It’s a shame condoms are for males.” Well Seth, wake up and smell the latex-they make condoms for women also.
He also says he “think[s]birth control pills are easier.” Since when is taking a pill at the same exact time everyday, getting prescriptions filled, and completely changing the natural hormones of a woman’s body, easier than slipping on a condom? Let’s not forget that birth control pills are not effective protection against the STDs that infect one in every four sexually active people. Birth control also has many dangerous side effects. Unlike Seth’s belief that “at worst, they get cramps and clear skin,” the common side effects birth control pills can cause are vomiting, depression, abnormal bleeding, and weight change.
According to Seth, gyms and nutrition are to help people “look built,” and that “people are willing to waste hundreds of hours and spend thousands of dollars for what will result in a five-second orgasm.” Seth’s measly ambitions in the gym, and apparently in bed, are no reason to cause alarm. Most of us eat healthy foods and work out to stay in shape, for our own personal well-being; if that enhances the time we spend with our partners, I doubt anyone will complain.
Lastly, Seth complains about Victoria’s Secret selling thongs to pre-teens. This comment is so ridiculous that I only have to say that, when Seth’s sex “scientists” find the correlation between underwear preference and sexual behavior, be sure to let me know.
Seth wonders what’s next, “Fruit-flavored, chewable birth control pills shaped in Wilma Flintstone and Betty Rubble?” I think what should be next for Seth is some advice: I hear that wearing those condoms that are so much “work” can reduce sensitivity. Perhaps our minuteman should consider that.

Rachael Henrichsen, Junior

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...