Golub’s steady play catalyst for success

There was a lot of uncertainty heading into the season for the Hurricanes men’s tennis team. A new coach and only two returning starters highlighted overshadowed the potential talent of the Miami players. However, one of those starters has offered the ‘Canes consistent results.
Andrew Golub, who has represented Miami in No. 2 singles and doubles for most of the season, helped solidify Miami as the team to beat in the upcoming Big East tournament. Golub has won several crucial matches down the stretch to give Miami a No. 25 ranking and a comfortable cushion in the conference standings.
In his prep career, Golub ranked as high as No.19 in the nation and received numerous accolades both in the state and national level. Among those accolades was a second place finish in the state championships and an eighth-place finish in the National Clay Courts Championships.
Now in his senior year, Gloub has continued to flourish each time he steps on the court. Earlier this season, Golub upset Toni Gordon of Texas Christian University in dramatic fashion to give the Hurricanes an unexpected victory. That win came on the heels of another upset over a ranked opponent, when Golub beat No.84 Sander Koning of Clemson University.
“[The win was] unbelievable for my confidence, but more so for my team, said Golub after the TCU match. “It’s my senior year and I am more concerned for my team.”
Golub’s head coach, Bryan Getz, points to the senior’s biggest improvement coming in doubles play. Golub used that improvement to his advantage March 2, when he teamed up with Colin Purcell to upset the nation’s No. 2 doubles tandem of Amer Delic and Michael Calkins from the University of Illinois.
“This year, he has done an unbelievable job at the No.2 spot,” Getz said. “His singles game has improved but I think his doubles game is what has improved the most. Moreover, he has done an amazing job as the team captain and providing leadership for the young guys on the team.”
To achieve these successes, Golub has been forced to overcome just as many hurdles. Golub transferred to Miami for his junior year after playing at Arizona State University the first two years of his collegiate career. Later that spring, Golub suffered a wrist injury during a match and struggled with the effects of his injury. However, as evident in his play this year, Golub took these obstacles in stride and managed to remain focused on improving his tennis game.
“I injured my wrist while hitting a volley against Notre Dame,” Golub said. “I then lost eight matches after the injury but recovered to win seven matches in a row.”
Tennis seems to be a ubiquitous sport in the Golub household as Andrew also has an older brother who played tennis for Florida State University. However, Golub says he does like to spend time away from the sport, exchanging his tennis racket for a putter.
In the meantime, the putter will have to stay in the golf bag, because Golub is focused on inflicting more damage with his tennis racket.

Sandeep Konka can be reached at skonka33143@hotmail.com.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...