News Briefs

From Feb. 20 through 23, the University of Miami’s Interfraternity Council attended the Southeastern Interfraternity conference. At the conference, UM’s IFC won awards for Outstanding Program, Alumni Development, Publications and Fraternal Excellence. Additionally, they were awarded honorable mention in the categories of Philanthropy and Community Service, Recruitment and Scholarship Programming. Dave Fenster, the current Vice President for the University of Miami’s IFC, was elected President of the Southeastern Interfraternity Conference. Congratulations, gentlemen, on a job well done!

The UM Purchasing department joins a national drive to collect old cellular phones for victims of domestic violence. The program, started by the Wireless Foundation, Motorola and National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, collects wireless phones and then refurbishes, reprograms and distributes them to victims in need. The Purchasing department will be collecting phones beginning Monday, March 17, through Sunday, June 1. For more information on the campaign call 1-888-901-SAFE or visit www.donateaphone.com. To contact Purchasing regarding drop-off, call Annette Bringas at 305-284-3093.

Meals not quite as good as mom’s home cooking? Got a kitchen but do not know how to use it? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, Chef Angel Velasquez’s beginner cooking class is for you! Learn culinary skills, stocks, sauces, emulsions and baking skills during the four-week series. Afterward you get to enjoy the delicious food you learned to expertly prepare. The cooking series begins April 2 and continues each Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. through April 23. Fee is $79 for members and $99 for non-members. The fee includes instruction, supplies and tastings. Register in the Wellness Suite or call 305-284-5433 for more information.

Join COISO in one of the biggest spring events at UM! International Week features over 20 international and multicultural student organizations. Each day of the week, a different region of the world is represented. During International Week 2003: Around the World in 8 Days, take a journey around the world. On this journey, you will experience the world’s cultures through the eyes of UM’s brightest cultural attaches – the international students. Expect a week filled with celebration, education and interaction, as we bring the world to the University of Miami in eight amazing days. International Week is April 4 through 12, 2003. For more information, contact COISO office and speak to Nikki or Minal at 305-284-3548.

There are spaces available in Summer 2003 faculty-led UM courses abroad taught by professors in the College of Arts and Sciences. We are having an information session next week for each course. Call Chris at 305-284-3183 with questions. The deadline to apply is March 31, 2003. For more information, visit www.studyabroad.miami.edu.