Before settling on floor plans, Frank isn’t finished with track

One thing that the Miami Hurricanes’ track team has been able to count on over the past four seasons is the proven talent of senior Kenneth Frank.
Last weekend at the Hurricane Invitational, Frank qualified for the Big East Outdoor Championships with a time of 14.90 in the 110-meter hurdles. This marks the third time Frank has qualified for the event in his collegiate career.
Frank comes from Pomona, New York and he had the same reasoning for coming to Miami as a lot of other students from up north do.
“I primarily chose it for the weather,” Frank said. “But also I was looking for a school that had Division one track and that would let me do architecture and Miami turned out to be the only one.”
The architecture major had many schools after him when he came out of North Rockland High School. Syracuse, Michigan, and Notre Dame are just a few that Frank considered.
Frank, who started running competitively when he was twelve, also has a very logical superstition as it corresponds with the injury problems he has had in the past.
“My superstition is to stay away from the training room because I am sick of it and don’t want to go back in,” Frank said.
Frank runs both indoor and outdoor track and he has excelled in each over his stay here at Miami. This despite the fact that Frank endures tough practices almost everyday in the South Florida heat.
“I’ll get out there and practice my hurtles and do some rhythm workouts and then on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I get into the weight room for some training in there,” Frank said
Last season, Frank finished second in the outdoor 100-meter hurdles at the South Florida Invitational with a time of 14.67 seconds. The native from Kingston, Jamaica also two other top five finishes in 2002.
The Hurricanes travel to Gainesville this weekend at the Florida Relays. Frank has some hopes for improving his times.
“This is the best start I’ve gotten with a 14.90 and hopefully I’ll be able to place high like maybe 3rd, Frank said. “So we’ll see what happens.”
Right now, Frank has just one long-term goal in mind.
“Basically my goal for the rest of the year is to finish the season,” Frank said. “I haven’t finished one yet.”

Doug Kroll can be reached at DStorm13@aol.com.

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...