Confluence to provide forum for student opinion

Students can speak with ease in the new literary student journal Confluence, the first student-run literary journal of the humanities at UM. The publication will feature original writings from undergraduate students expressing their opinions about current events.
“The journal was created as a response to academic outlets for undergraduates to express their creative faculties,” Christian G. Wilson, founder and editor-in-chief of Confluence, said. “It will provide the undergraduate student body with the possibility to become published in an academic publication.”
So far, 21 entries have been received, half of which have already been selected for publication.
“I think that this is the chance for students to talk and express themselves. It is a good topic right now,” Emilie Leibovitch, senior, said. “Terrorism and threats question if we are still free. Students will be confronted by many opinions and might gain an open mind- it’s good to hear what others are saying.”
Other students agree and look forward to reading the journal.
“Students who have strong opinions now have somewhere to express them,” Francine Madera, sophomore, said.
The journal is sponsored by the Philosophy Department and by the UM College Democrats and will be published in chapbook format each semester. This semester’s theme is “Democracy and Its Discontents: Are Americans Still Free?”
The deadline for entries is Mar. 28 and all entries must be an original work from an undergraduate student, double-spaced with a maximum of 1,000 words.
Students must include their full name, their major, class, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address. All entries should be sent to umjournal@hotmail.com
Students who are interested in working for the journal as an editor, a vice-editor, or as a reviewer should contact umjournal@hotmail.com.

Marquita Bell can be contacted at m_bell01@hotmail.com

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...