Confluence to provide forum for student opinion

Students can speak with ease in the new literary student journal Confluence, the first student-run literary journal of the humanities at UM. The publication will feature original writings from undergraduate students expressing their opinions about current events.
“The journal was created as a response to academic outlets for undergraduates to express their creative faculties,” Christian G. Wilson, founder and editor-in-chief of Confluence, said. “It will provide the undergraduate student body with the possibility to become published in an academic publication.”
So far, 21 entries have been received, half of which have already been selected for publication.
“I think that this is the chance for students to talk and express themselves. It is a good topic right now,” Emilie Leibovitch, senior, said. “Terrorism and threats question if we are still free. Students will be confronted by many opinions and might gain an open mind- it’s good to hear what others are saying.”
Other students agree and look forward to reading the journal.
“Students who have strong opinions now have somewhere to express them,” Francine Madera, sophomore, said.
The journal is sponsored by the Philosophy Department and by the UM College Democrats and will be published in chapbook format each semester. This semester’s theme is “Democracy and Its Discontents: Are Americans Still Free?”
The deadline for entries is Mar. 28 and all entries must be an original work from an undergraduate student, double-spaced with a maximum of 1,000 words.
Students must include their full name, their major, class, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address. All entries should be sent to umjournal@hotmail.com
Students who are interested in working for the journal as an editor, a vice-editor, or as a reviewer should contact umjournal@hotmail.com.

Marquita Bell can be contacted at m_bell01@hotmail.com

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...