Bush rhetoric may be hypocrisy of the worst kind

Last week, against the will of most of the world, our nation began one of the most virulently disputed wars in history. I have already stated my opinion on this war, and it will not change. Now I want to state what I think we should be doing instead.
On September 11th, a small religious terrorist organization committed an atrocious act of violence. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of terrorist groups just like Al Qaeda that would attack us just as quickly given enough money and organization. If the object really were to avenge and honor those who died, we would be working to obliterate the economic base of these fundamentalist terrorist groups, working with other nations so that they will not house terrorists, and most importantly, working to engender understanding between our country and that region so that it will not continue to breed terrorists.
Don’t agree? Well, when was the last time Iraq crossed our borders and attacked us? When was the last time a small terrorist group crossed our borders and attacked us? Get the point?
Also, Bush’s strategy for defending our country involves making preemptive attacks on nations that pose potential threats to our security. To follow this plan, we must next attack North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and multiple other nations who are potential threats. In short, we must start a world war by ourselves against multiple nations who have committed no crime yet, and against the public opinion of more than half of the world. We must spare no expense, recoil at no amount of bloodshed until every possible threat to our security is defeated. As terrible as that sounds, if it is not carried through, all the rhetoric that has been flung around about the humanitarian reason for fighting Iraq will be proven for what I suspect it is: hypocrisy of the worst kind.
I have a few more words on the war and then I will have said my peace. I am tired of the president’s arrogance and of the belief that God is on anyone’s side in war. I am tired of the ignorance of the American people (polls show that 40 percent of Americans believe that Hussein was responsible for September 11th, and the Bush administration has done nothing to set the record straight). I am tired of the media lying down and letting Bush off easy. They came up with hundreds of questions for Clinton about a blowjob, but about the lack of factual evidence to justify war they seem to be drawing a blank.
Oh, and about those weapons of mass destruction: if they exist, why are so many Iraqi soldiers surrendering instead of using them to fight?

Travis Atria is a senior majoring in English Literature. Flame mail can be directed to Batman7777@aol.com.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...