Bush rhetoric may be hypocrisy of the worst kind

Last week, against the will of most of the world, our nation began one of the most virulently disputed wars in history. I have already stated my opinion on this war, and it will not change. Now I want to state what I think we should be doing instead.
On September 11th, a small religious terrorist organization committed an atrocious act of violence. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of terrorist groups just like Al Qaeda that would attack us just as quickly given enough money and organization. If the object really were to avenge and honor those who died, we would be working to obliterate the economic base of these fundamentalist terrorist groups, working with other nations so that they will not house terrorists, and most importantly, working to engender understanding between our country and that region so that it will not continue to breed terrorists.
Don’t agree? Well, when was the last time Iraq crossed our borders and attacked us? When was the last time a small terrorist group crossed our borders and attacked us? Get the point?
Also, Bush’s strategy for defending our country involves making preemptive attacks on nations that pose potential threats to our security. To follow this plan, we must next attack North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and multiple other nations who are potential threats. In short, we must start a world war by ourselves against multiple nations who have committed no crime yet, and against the public opinion of more than half of the world. We must spare no expense, recoil at no amount of bloodshed until every possible threat to our security is defeated. As terrible as that sounds, if it is not carried through, all the rhetoric that has been flung around about the humanitarian reason for fighting Iraq will be proven for what I suspect it is: hypocrisy of the worst kind.
I have a few more words on the war and then I will have said my peace. I am tired of the president’s arrogance and of the belief that God is on anyone’s side in war. I am tired of the ignorance of the American people (polls show that 40 percent of Americans believe that Hussein was responsible for September 11th, and the Bush administration has done nothing to set the record straight). I am tired of the media lying down and letting Bush off easy. They came up with hundreds of questions for Clinton about a blowjob, but about the lack of factual evidence to justify war they seem to be drawing a blank.
Oh, and about those weapons of mass destruction: if they exist, why are so many Iraqi soldiers surrendering instead of using them to fight?

Travis Atria is a senior majoring in English Literature. Flame mail can be directed to Batman7777@aol.com.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...