trashcan: Michael Essany is Rupert Pupkin. NYC public access: “Squirt TV” and “Kid America”

UM students finally get (limited) cable in their dorm rooms only to discover that this lonely college kid and probable virgin has his own “talk show.”

If you haven’t seen Martin Scorsese’s “The King of Comedy,” go rent it. Michael Essany is Robert De Niro’s Rupert Pupkin. It’s plagarism.

E!’s Web site reports, “Michael’s been working toward this day since puberty, studying old tapes of Johnny Carson, fashioning his own set…ironing suits, calling hundreds of celebrities. And you haven’t.” Jerry Lewis should watch his back.

Does anyone remember “Squirt TV,” with that skinny urban dweller Jake Fogelnest? He made botched Rice Krispy Treats with Jenny McCarthy in his mom’s kitchen. Mike D and Beck sat in his bedroom uber stoned playing with Japanese keyboards. Noise Addict was his favorite band. It was a comfy orange-lit dream aired on the late late.

B-list guests could wear their shoes inside, his parent(s) apparently had a life, and he didn’t have a gallon of snot stored in his nostrils. Maybe “Kid America” will reach HBO and revalidate 20-somethings fucking around on public access television-gone-nationwide. Where is this tangent going you ask? [Shrug] Dave Chappelle’s show is on.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...