Sports Briefs

Women’s track and field
Sophomore Lauryn Williams, senior Sharianne Lawson, senior Gina Harris and the Miami 4×400-meter relay all earned All-America honors to lead the University of Miami to a 14th-place finish at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Fayetteville, AR.
Williams, the 2003 Big East 60-meter champion, repeated as an indoor All-American with a fourth-place finish in the 60-meters with a time of 7.29 seconds. Williams earned All-America honors last season in the 60-meters (indoors) and the 100-meters (outdoors). Williams broke her own school-record in the preliminaries recording a time of 7.22.
Lawson, who recorded the second-fastest time of the 60-meter hurdle preliminaries, finished fourth in the final with a time of 8.13 seconds. Lawson recorded a person-best time of 8.12 in the preliminaries.
The All-America honor is the first of Lawson’s career and continues a long-standing tradition of hurdling excellence at the University of Miami. Miami hurdlers have earned 19 All-America honors and six national championships over the last 12 seasons.
Harris, the 2003 Big East indoor long jump champion to earn All-America honors for the second consecutive season. Harris, who recorded a mark of 6.15 meters (20-02.25), is the first Hurricane long jumper to earn All-America honors in consecutive seasons.
The University of Miami will host the Hurricane Invitational tomorrow at Cobb Stadium. Field events will begin at 9 a.m. with running events starting at noon. Tickets for the event are $5 for adults and $3 for children 12 and under. UM students will receive free admission with their Cane Card.
Thirteen schools will be competing including host Miami, Southern Connecticut State, Syracuse, Florida International, Connecticut, Princeton, Grinnell, North Dakota, NYU, Kentucky, Rutgers, Florida Memorial and Florida Atlantic.
The Hurricane Invitational is the first of two home meets for Miami this season. Miami will also host the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic on April 12.

Women’s rowing
The University of Miami women’s rowing team competed in a scrimmage against Yale University Sunday morning in Sarasota, FL.
The UM Varsity Eight raced two Yale Eights comprising two even boats of their Varsity and JV rowers. The workout consisted of four 3-minute pieces at ratings ranging from 24 -28 strokes per minute. The faster of the two Yale boats won every piece by a boat length. UM finished anywhere from a seat up to even to down by open water on the slower of the Yale boats.
The UM JV Eight raced the 3rd Varsity Eight from Yale. They did five 3-minute pieces with ratings from 24 – 32. UM won three of the five races by a seat or two. Yale was up several seats on the other two pieces.
UM’s Novice Eight and 2nd Novice Eight competed with Yale’s freshmen eight for three 3-minute pieces and one 2-minute piece at 22, 24, and 26 strokes-per-minute. Yale’s crew finished ahead on all pieces. UM’s best showing occurred in the 3rd piece at a 26 stroke rating when the Novice Eight finished bow-to-stern with Yale. In 2002, Yale’s Novice Eight was undefeated until the EAWRC Championship. In 2002, UM’s Novice Eight finished 6th at the Big East Championships in Worcester, MA.
The Hurricanes will go head-to-head with UConn in their first spring home event in Miami Beach Saturday March 22. Look for the results on hurricanesports.com.

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...