Burning regret for some spring breakers

Spring break is supposed to be a time for overworked students to relax, go to the beach and party, away from the pressures of school. But for some this one week of heaven quickly turns into a lifetime of hell. The reason? Sexually transmitted diseases [STDs].
“We would help students with STDs cope with their feelings,” Malcolm Kahn, Ph.D., director of the Counseling Center, said. “If they felt like they were in a crisis, they could just walk in or schedule an appointment.”
Many students realize that spring break can be a dangerous time.
“I think a rise in STDs following spring break occurs because of the carelessness associated with that break,” Blake Harris, junior, said. “Students see the break as an excuse to do things that they normally wouldn’t do.”
As a result of this phenomenon UM provides many different services for students, both educational and medical.
“I believe that the Health Center experiences a surge in STIs [Sexually Transmitted Infections] post-spring break; therefore we try to provide education during Safe Spring Break Week,” Janet Tiberian, assistant director for Student Wellness at the Department of Wellness and Recreation, said. “During this week we provide students with Safe Spring Break kits which contain information about STIs and condoms, among other things.”
Many students feel that, although the school provides services aimed at students who have become infected with an STD, these services are not well-publicized around campus.
“I didn’t even know that the school provided STD-related services,” Kevin Dean, sophomore, said. “I know more people with STDs than programs that exist to help them.”
Some students are not even aware that these services exist.
“I have absolutely no idea about what kind of services the Health Center on campus provides for students who think that they have STDs,” Alison Rasgado, sophomore, said.
The Miami Hurricane was unable to obtain a statement from the Health Center despite repeated attempts.
The Health Center can be contacted at 305-284-5927. To schedule an appointment with the Counseling Center, contact 305-284-5511.

Arnab Basu can be contacted at basuarnab@hotmail.com

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...