Mulvaney looks for success beyond track

Not many people would recognize junior Matt Mulvaney, a member of UM’s track and cross country team, if they saw him on campus. Yet this normal-looking guy of small statue has shown a lot of talent and an outstanding surplus of energy.
Mulvaney grew up in a small town in Massachusetts, and has his sights set on playing baseball or running track. Early on in his high school career though, it became clear that he was a talented runner and destined to star in the sport of track and field. Mulvaney became a Daily Hampshire Gazette All Star for cross-country and track while taking part in initiating the school’s All-Western Massachusetts Cross Country Team.
Mulvaney said running wasn’t the only thing that led him to the University of Miami.
“I love playing music,” Mulvaney said. “Coming to UM would give me the opportunity to do both.”
Mulvaney, who majors in Music Business and Business Law, plays the saxophone in the school’s “Wind Ensemble” and for several saxophone quartets. However, Mulvaney’s focus has been primarily on track, where he runs the five and 10-kilometer events, while also competing in the eight and 10-kilometer events in cross-country. That may seem like a lot work, but Mulvaney looks at it differently.
“It is very rewarding to work out every day,” Mulvaney said. “The more you put in, the more you get out of it.”
Mulvaney’s latest accomplishments as a Hurricane came in the recent Big East Championships. Mulvaney qualified for the 5000 meters with a time of 14:54.20 and ended up finishing 11th in the event
When the outdoor season starts in March, Mulvaney doesn’t plan on running for the Hurricanes. Instead, Mulavaney looks to set his sights on preparing and applying to law school. However, he still plans on competing individually during the spring.
“School has to be my first priority,” Mulvaney said. “I’d like to continue running in law school, but only if I have the time.”
Mulvaney seems to always be busy, engaging in some kind of activity. Yet even he gets worn out sometimes, but knows his hard work will pay off down the road.
“When I leave Miami I will have a lot of options open,” Mulvaney said.

Katharina Guderian can be reached at KathaGuderian@gmx.net

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...