Date auction raises money for new UMTV show

If students were in search of a great guy or girl to take for a night on the town, they just may have gotten lucky at the date auction organized and produced by Canes Gone Crazy this week at the Rat.
“Canes Gone Crazy is a high energy, high impact show for kids that want to go crazy but don’t want to leave their room,” Aaron Zippin, executive producer of Canes Gone Crazy, said. “The goal for tonight is for all of us to go on fantastic dates and for us to make some money, but mostly just to have fun.”
Zippin was the first to be auctioned on the docket.
The auction served as the first fundraising event for the new program.
Jason Kerepesi, the announcer for the auction, was optimistic about the evening and the role he was to play in auctioning off dating volunteers.
“I’m going to be describing the people and the dates and poke fun at them at the same time as only I can,” said Kerepesi. “Hopefully we can raise some money for this wonderful show.”
“We wanted to do something really ‘college’ – something really young,” Katie Brown, executive producer for the show, said. “I feel like it’s a good thing for our show – I’m all for having a good time.”
Brown was also up for bids.
As the lights went down and the bids went up, girls and guys were given the opportunity to strut their stuff on stage while Kerepesi provided information about them from note cards they had written.
The participants did everything they could to hype the crowd. One student even stripped down to his underwear.
Throughout the event, auction volunteers waited eagerly for their moment to shine and raise money for a good cause.
“I’m a little nervous. It has the potential to be a great time but it could also be a horrible disaster,” said freshman Rob Vitolo, who is a host and camera man for Canes Gone Crazy. “It’s an interesting way to raise money that fits with the people in our show – a different way to attract people.”
“I feel a little prostituted, but I don’t really mind,” freshman Joel Scagnelli, a cameraman for Canes Gone Crazy who was also preparing to be auctioned off to the highest bidder, said.
Scagnelli even convinced his friend, freshman Gina Farinhas, to participate in the auction. Farinhas had only come as moral support, but then decided to be auctioned off as well.
“Canes Gone Crazy is a good show and anything to make money for it is a good thing,” Farinhas said.
Among the lively variety of datable auction participants was the Party Pack, a collection of five guys who would be sold as a group to the highest bidder: Anthony Biase, Pete Hagen, Kyle Griffith, Mathew Ruttkay and James Wilson got together as a group to support the program.
“It’s a good opportunity for girls to take us out on dates,” Biase said.
“They called me out of bed,” Griffith said. “I feel like a sex object.”
The highest bidder for the Party Pack won a date with all five of the UM bachelors.
In the audience, friends of those auctioned-off voiced their support.
“I think it’s a good, creative way for an organization on campus to raise money for itself,” said Mike Diccicca, sophomore.
“I think it’s kind of cool, because as another organization on campus, we’ve done some fundraising things and it’s good to see what other people do,” Aric Bickel, sophomore, said.
After all bids were down and all parties accounted for, the producers extended their appreciation to all those who came to support their fellow ‘Canes.
“Our main goal was to have fun, and it went the best way we ever thought it would,” Zippen said.
Canes Gone Crazy is looking forward to another energy-packed fundraiser to be held in the beginning of April called the “Duct Tape Fashion Show.”
Students can register as teams and will have to design costumes for one team model using only duct tape and scissors. The best outfit will win a grand prize with smaller prizes for runners up.
“I can’t tell you what the prize is, but it will be well worth the time,” Brown said.
Canes Gone Crazy airs every Wednesday and Friday night at 7:30 p.m. on the College Television Network.

For more information, visit

Whitney Friedrich can be contacted at

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...