Women’s tennis makes quick work of FIU

The FIU Golden Panthers turned out to be more of a test than the Hurricanes thought it should have been.
Nevertheless, Miami took care of business Saturday, winning 6-1 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. No. 21 Miami is now 6-2 while the Golden Panthers drop to 3-7 on the year. Still, head coach Page Yaroshuk wasn’t completely satisfied with the result.
“We have to play better than we did today,” Yaroshuk said. “We can’t have close matches with FIU and expect to beat great teams down the road.”
The Hurricanes started off on the right foot, winning each of the three doubles matches on the day. Junior Abby Smith and senior Igna deVilliers defeated Mei Ly and Bruna Discordia 8-2, while sophomore Megan Bradley and junior Mari Toro defeated Desanka Jovanovic and Christine Suard 8-3. In the last doubles match, freshman Melissa Applebaum and junior Sara Robbins made easy work of Courtney Jonson and Davina Duronio 8-0.
“We worked hard out there and we had good energy in each the one, two, and three doubles matches,” Smith said. “Our winning streak is now at two, but even though we played well as partners it is a team effort and it matters how everyone else plays as well.”
Singles play, though, yielded much closer results than expected. Three of the six matches went to a third set of play. Bradley defeated Jovanovic 3-6, 6-3, 6-0, Applebaum beat Discordia 6-2, 6-0, and sophomore Sihem Bennacer won against Surd 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. Yaroshuk was especially pleased with Bennacer’s play.
“I was happy to see Bennacer in her No. 4 match win after coming off of mono,” Yaroshuk said.
The biggest surprise of the day was when Mei Ly defeated Mari Toro 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (4) in the No. 2 singles match. In No. 5 singles, sophomore Staci Stevens beat Jonson 6-2, 6-2, while Robbins rounded out singles play with a 6-2, 6-1, victory over Duronio.
Toro, ranked No. 94 in the country, had the most exciting match of the day, as the singles match went to a tiebreaker in the third and final set. Down 5-4, Toro broke Mei Ly’s serve to get even the score at 5-5 and proceeded to win the next game to take the lead 6-5. Mei Ly proved to be too much for the Miami junior as she took the next game and won the tiebreaker
Miami’s No. 1 singles player, Megan Bradley, fought back after losing her first singles set, eventually overpowering her opponent in three sets.
The victory was Miami’s second in a row, following Saturday’s 7-0 victory over South Florida. Next up for the ‘Canes is a home match against Boston College at 6 PM Wednesday.
“Our goal is better tennis and not only to win but to get the girls playing better than they have been,” Yaroshuk said. “I thought the girls played well, but they are going to have to step up their games as we have a big match coming up against University of Virginia at the end of the week.”

Doug Kroll can be reached at Dstorm13@aol.com

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...