The often-hushed issue of Racism is never cold

I am a racist. And I hate it. I have a strong bias towards my personal ancestry. No one likes to talk about it and those who bring up the issue of racism are often criticized for spinning the topic in a fashion that reciprocates more ignorance. What is wrong with conscience-building discourse? The dichotomy of peace and tolerance against violence and prejudice is a charming characteristic of our human heritage.
So why shoot the messengers? The culprits are the people who are so often offended by any discussion on racism. Their problem is that they rationalize denial. Any conversation where the individuals involved are forced to step back and to honestly look at how they sometimes act or think based on race is productive. I have never encountered anyone in my entire life that is not a racist to a certain extent. We are all proud of our heritage, even if, at times, it was shady.
Therefore, the issue is never cold. I am a white male from South Carolina (a state with a longstanding history of stubbornness) and I grew up in a family that formerly did not approve of interracial dating (if there really is such a thing by broad definition). One of my friends from childhood still uses the word “nigger” in the opposite fashion as rappers do. I have encountered this level of ignorance in northern California (as neo-hippie liberal as it may be) and in southern Maine. I am not convinced that racism is centered in any particular area in the world. It is pretty much everywhere. So, save the critiques about fueling the problem by talking about it too much. This is and will continue to be a problem that is relevant to the history and to the future of the human race.
One alarming consequence of human cloning is the possibility that a new form of prejudice will be born in the future against a minority of cloned humans. So before we criticize folks like Al Sharpton for following controversy around the nation with cameras all in the name of oppression, let’s take a second to realize that the principles the Reverend stands for are the same principles that the framers penned into the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution: “We the people.”
I am racist. I don’t like certain people because their ancestors were very different from mine. Yet, I am an American (for better and for worse) and that means that I believe in the people, not my people.

Alex Saleeby can be contacted at claysaleeby@hotmail.com.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...