Sports Briefs

Women’s Golf
University of Miami sophomore Tina Miller fired a final round 69 to win the UCF Invitational by one stroke over teammate Camilla Hilland.
The victory is the first of Miller’s collegiate career and marks the second time this season a Hurricane has won an individual title. Hilland won the Lady Panther Intercollegiate during the fall season.
As a team the Hurricanes shot 305 on Tuesday finishing in a tie for second with a two-day total of 615. Rollins College won the event with a two-day score of 614.
Men’s Track and Field
Freshman Terrell Walden won the 60-meter title to highlight Sunday’s action at the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championships in Syracuse, NY.
Walden, who led four Hurricanes in the top-6, won with a time of 6.82. Freshman Travarous Bain finished third with a time of 6.83 while sophomore Tanard Davis took fourth (6.84) and junior Roscoe Parrish placing sixth (6.92).
Bain also scored in the 200-meters placing fifth with a time of 21.93.
Senior Kenny Frank placed sixth in the 60-meter hurdles (8.39) while freshman Ryan Moore took fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 14.68 meters (48-02.00).
Senior Jabari Ennis, competing in his final Big East meet, took second in the pole vault with a mark of 5.10 meters (16-08.75).

Men’s Basketball
University of Miami senior forward James Jones has been selected to the 2003 Verizon Academic All-District II Men’s Basketball team. Jones is now eligible for the national Verizon Academic All-America Team, which will be announced on March 6.
This marks the second consecutive season Jones has earned Verizon Academic All-District honors.
Joining Jones as All-District selections are Matt Bonner, Adam Hess, Jon Larranaga and Brad McKeiver.
Jones has started all 22 games at power forward this season for the Hurricanes and is averaging 16.9 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game. He currently ranks second on the team in scoring while leading the team in rebounding and blocked shots. He has recorded 21 double-figure scoring games and a team-high three double-doubles. He has led the team in scoring 10 times and in rebounding 12 times.
Jones (6-8, 225) is a three-time Big East Academic All-Star and carries a 3.405 cumulative GPA in finance. He was named a 2001 Arthur Ashe Scholar Athlete and was runner-up for the 2001-02 Big East Basketball Scholar-Athlete Award.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...