album reviews: Ted Leo supplies Murs with Supergrass to smoke with a Simian

Supergrass
Life on Other Planets
***

Supergrass is the best British rock band around. Unlike other U.K. rock star outfits like Oasis, Blur, even Spacehog, these chaps rarely let all the boozing and model drama intervene with their safari towards a classic constellation of jams. Their fourth LP, Life on Other Planets, is decidedly choice, and it finds the band as focused as ever, yet it’s lighter and retro like a pair of PF Flyers. The tavern emerald shimmer from In It for the Money has been washed away by producer Tony Hoffer (Air, Beck), in favor of sing-a-long optimism; fortunately Supergrass sip from a glass of class like Robert Evans (so it’s kosher).
Even with all the luck, these boys are still ballsy and reckless as hell, hopping all over the place in “Never Done Nothing Like That Before,” and crooning like Queen (or is that Ween?) on the galactic “Run.” Each song stands out with different feelings and deliveries, conveniently just like the contrasting fonts on the back of the album. Surely Supergrass studies the Who, the Beatles and the Kinks, but this trio isn’t dirtying their hands in laborsome admiration like so many “revivalists.” Traditional rock fits them like a glove, and it’s time people over here stop bedding the Strokes to see who’s really waking the neighbors – bloody wankers.
It’s odd that Supergrass have never exploded in the land of the winners. There’s some ambiguity to their image in America, as if they’re merely singing your dad’s devil music about some lost dream girl on a train. Ironically this proves somewhat true, as on “Evening of the Day,” where vocalist Gaz Coombes croons, “If she’s not on that 315, then I’m going to know what sorrow means.” Bollocks.
Exhausted, clich

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...