Sports Briefs

Men’s track and field

The University of Miami, led by freshman Terrell Walden qualified four runners for the finals of the 60-meters at the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championships in Syracuse, NY.
Walden recorded the top qualifying time winning his heat in a time of 6.84. Sophomore Tanard Davis and freshman Travarous Bain finished first (6.84) and second (6.84) in their heat to qualify for Sunday’s final. Sophomore Roscoe Parrish also reached the final with a time of 6.91.
Bain also qualified for the finals of the 200-meters posting a time of 21.86.
In the 60-meter hurdles senior Kenny Frank recorded a preliminary time of 8.42 to advance to Sunday’s final.
In addition, junior Matt Mulvaney took 11th in the 5000-meters with a time of 15:02.41.
Men’s tennis

The University of Miami men’s tennis team won its second straight match Saturday, defeating Florida State 5-2 in Tallahassee, Fla.
The Hurricanes improved their record to 5-1 on the season with the win.
UM’s Colin Purcell clinched the match when he defeated Heiner Tadault 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 at fourth singles.
The Hurricanes’ No. 9-ranked player Todd Widom handled Mat Cloer 6-2, 6-4 in first singles while Eric Hechtman defeated Chris Westerhof 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 and Shauny Hoyes edged Rodrigo Laub 7-6 (7), 4-6, 1-0 (5).
In doubles play, Andrew Golub and Purcell upended Laub and Cloer 8-5, while Widom and Hechtman defeated Westerhof and Jeff Groslimond 8-6.
Swimming and diving
The University of Miami women’s swimming and diving team finished third in the Big East Championships Saturday in East Meadow, NY, with 469 points.
“Overall we did a tremendous job in both swimming and diving,” coach James Sweeney said. “They worked hard this season and it was great to see the benefits of that.”
Sweeney made special mention of the seniors’ overall efforts during the season, citing their “determination, leadership, and pride.”
Notre Dame finished in first place (730 points), while Rutgers took second (580).
Hurricane swimmer Manon Van Rooijen successfully defended her 100-yard freestyle event with a time of 49.34. Van Rooijen set the Big East Championships record in the event last season with a time of 49.11.
“(Van Rooijen) just continued with her winning ways,” Sweeney said. “She’s really focused and I had every confidence that she was going to win that race.”
Teammate Christine Wiliams came in third in the same event (50.59). Sweeney stressed that Williams’ performance in the Big East Championships was exceptional.
In the 200 butterfly, UM’s Adrien Ferguson finished in fifth (2:03.17) and Elaine Schwartz took sixth (2:03.32).
The Hurricanes’ 400 free relay of Williams, Schwartz, Megan Kinsella, and Van Rooijen took third (3:23.22).
Another notable performance by a Hurricane was that of Martyna Kraczyk, whose time in the consolation heat of the 200 breaststroke would have won the preliminary round race (2:16.08).

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...