Sports Briefs

Men’s track and field

The University of Miami, led by freshman Terrell Walden qualified four runners for the finals of the 60-meters at the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championships in Syracuse, NY.
Walden recorded the top qualifying time winning his heat in a time of 6.84. Sophomore Tanard Davis and freshman Travarous Bain finished first (6.84) and second (6.84) in their heat to qualify for Sunday’s final. Sophomore Roscoe Parrish also reached the final with a time of 6.91.
Bain also qualified for the finals of the 200-meters posting a time of 21.86.
In the 60-meter hurdles senior Kenny Frank recorded a preliminary time of 8.42 to advance to Sunday’s final.
In addition, junior Matt Mulvaney took 11th in the 5000-meters with a time of 15:02.41.
Men’s tennis

The University of Miami men’s tennis team won its second straight match Saturday, defeating Florida State 5-2 in Tallahassee, Fla.
The Hurricanes improved their record to 5-1 on the season with the win.
UM’s Colin Purcell clinched the match when he defeated Heiner Tadault 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 at fourth singles.
The Hurricanes’ No. 9-ranked player Todd Widom handled Mat Cloer 6-2, 6-4 in first singles while Eric Hechtman defeated Chris Westerhof 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 and Shauny Hoyes edged Rodrigo Laub 7-6 (7), 4-6, 1-0 (5).
In doubles play, Andrew Golub and Purcell upended Laub and Cloer 8-5, while Widom and Hechtman defeated Westerhof and Jeff Groslimond 8-6.
Swimming and diving
The University of Miami women’s swimming and diving team finished third in the Big East Championships Saturday in East Meadow, NY, with 469 points.
“Overall we did a tremendous job in both swimming and diving,” coach James Sweeney said. “They worked hard this season and it was great to see the benefits of that.”
Sweeney made special mention of the seniors’ overall efforts during the season, citing their “determination, leadership, and pride.”
Notre Dame finished in first place (730 points), while Rutgers took second (580).
Hurricane swimmer Manon Van Rooijen successfully defended her 100-yard freestyle event with a time of 49.34. Van Rooijen set the Big East Championships record in the event last season with a time of 49.11.
“(Van Rooijen) just continued with her winning ways,” Sweeney said. “She’s really focused and I had every confidence that she was going to win that race.”
Teammate Christine Wiliams came in third in the same event (50.59). Sweeney stressed that Williams’ performance in the Big East Championships was exceptional.
In the 200 butterfly, UM’s Adrien Ferguson finished in fifth (2:03.17) and Elaine Schwartz took sixth (2:03.32).
The Hurricanes’ 400 free relay of Williams, Schwartz, Megan Kinsella, and Van Rooijen took third (3:23.22).
Another notable performance by a Hurricane was that of Martyna Kraczyk, whose time in the consolation heat of the 200 breaststroke would have won the preliminary round race (2:16.08).

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...