News Briefs

Hippies and post- Jerry Garcia fans can chomp on this: the Other Ones, the band made up of the remaining members of the Grateful Dead, have decided to call themselves plainly the Dead and this name change officially began with their benefit concert in Warfield Theatre in San Francisco more than a week ago. They are planning a large summer tour, so check their website (www.dead.net) for more info.

To all those glued to Cartoon Network in the late-night confines of smoked-out dorm rooms-bleary-eyed and with a huge stock of munchies by their side-the channel announced at a press breakfast in NY last week three new series to debut as of July: “Duck Dodgers” (Daffy Duck and Porky Pig protect the Earth from enemies in the 24th Century), “LowBrow” (a young slacker with an 80-foot robot combats evil aliens) and “Teen Titans” (again, more superheroes and wicked foes).

You may not know her because garage and 2-step lay within the more arcane realm of music in the U.S., but this female MC Ms. Dynamite is blowing up in the UK. At last Thursday’s Brit Awards, she snagged the prize for best British urban act and for best British female artist. Since all these award ceremonies are mostly the result of politicking within the industry, the rest of the big victors was rather redundant and predictable: Robbie Williams, Coldplay and Norah Jones…zzzz.

Key West’s first Tennessee Williams Festival ended last night, honoring the famous playwright, who lived in the keys and was known for dressing in white and drinking at Sloppy Joe’s and Captain Tony’s Saloon. The festival opened last Saturday with a showing of A Streetcar Named Desire and The Rose Tattoo.

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...