News Briefs

Hippies and post- Jerry Garcia fans can chomp on this: the Other Ones, the band made up of the remaining members of the Grateful Dead, have decided to call themselves plainly the Dead and this name change officially began with their benefit concert in Warfield Theatre in San Francisco more than a week ago. They are planning a large summer tour, so check their website (www.dead.net) for more info.

To all those glued to Cartoon Network in the late-night confines of smoked-out dorm rooms-bleary-eyed and with a huge stock of munchies by their side-the channel announced at a press breakfast in NY last week three new series to debut as of July: “Duck Dodgers” (Daffy Duck and Porky Pig protect the Earth from enemies in the 24th Century), “LowBrow” (a young slacker with an 80-foot robot combats evil aliens) and “Teen Titans” (again, more superheroes and wicked foes).

You may not know her because garage and 2-step lay within the more arcane realm of music in the U.S., but this female MC Ms. Dynamite is blowing up in the UK. At last Thursday’s Brit Awards, she snagged the prize for best British urban act and for best British female artist. Since all these award ceremonies are mostly the result of politicking within the industry, the rest of the big victors was rather redundant and predictable: Robbie Williams, Coldplay and Norah Jones…zzzz.

Key West’s first Tennessee Williams Festival ended last night, honoring the famous playwright, who lived in the keys and was known for dressing in white and drinking at Sloppy Joe’s and Captain Tony’s Saloon. The festival opened last Saturday with a showing of A Streetcar Named Desire and The Rose Tattoo.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...