Swim teams looks for postseason success

The University of Miami swimming and diving team will begin competition Thursday in the Big East Championships in Uniondale, NY.
The Hurricanes bring 16 athletes to the competition including returning Big East Swimmer of the Year Manon Van Rooijen, who set championship records in both the 100 (49.11) and 200 (1:48.48) freestyle events last year.
UM also returns diver Katie Beth Bryant and Kyle Prandi both of whom have claimed Big East Diving Championships within the last three years. Bryant took the 2002 championship in the three-meter diving event, while Prandi claimed both the one and three-meter diving events in 2001 and the three-meter in 2000.
The Hurricanes have dominated the diving events since the early 1990’s when coach Randy Ableman took over the program. Since 1997, Miami has claimed the championship in every diving event at Big East’s.
Of the 48 events contested in all four categories of both men’s and women’s diving since 1990, the Hurricanes have claimed 40 championships. In the last four years since the honor’s institution, Ableman has been named Big East Diving Coach of the Year on three occasions. He has been named the NCAA Coach of the Year nine times during his career and was recently presented with the prestigious Phil Boggs Award.
Overall, UM’s women’s team placed third in the conference championships last season and swim coach James Sweeney is confident in his team’s ability to improve upon that. Sweeney noted that several of his swimmers are on pace to break new records either at Uniondale or during NCAA’s in Auburn, Ala.
“Coming off of one of our best seasons in over 10 years, (I’ve had) high expectations for our women’s team,” Sweeney said. “We brought more than we lost so we expect not only to keep getting faster, but also to improve our third place-finish at Big Eastand 15th at NCAA’s.”
In addition to Van Rooijen’s record-setting performances, UM’s 400-yard relay team of Christine Williams, Erin Johns and Megan Kinsella, as well as Van Rooijen, earned the Big East Championship and claimed a record of their own (3:20.86).
This year, Colleen Adkins will compete in the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke and the 200 IM; Meghan Clabby will compete in the 100 and 200 breaststroke; Katalin Ferenczi, the 100 and 200 backstroke; Adrien Ferguson, the 100 and 200 butterfly as well as the 200 IM; Johns, 50 and 100 freestyle; Kinsella, 100 and 200 free; Martyna Krawczyk, 100 and 200 breast; Elaine Schwartz, 200 fly and the 200 and 400 IM; Christina Swanson, 50 free and 100 and 200 breast; Manon Van Rooijen, the 200 IM and 100 and 200 free; Tammy Watts, the 100 and 200 back; and Williams, the 50, 100, and 200 free.

Courtesy of the sports information department.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...