Student Government Candidates

Candidate: Andrew Cohn
Year in school: Sophomore
Major: Pre law/ Political Science
Leadership positions: Treasurer of Lambda Chi Alpha LCA Fraternity, member of GAMMA (Greeks advocating the mature management of alcohol)
Platform:
Extend library hours starting the week before midterms and continuing on to the end of the semester.
Provide additional stops for the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle at Mahoney/Pearson, Towers, and Hecht Athletic Center during days when the shuttle goes to the Grove.
Extend the days of the Grove shuttle ride to include Thursdays.
Create a system of grade-based coupons for books at the Bookstore (3.0 GPA- 10% discount, 3.5 GPA- 25% discount, 4.0 GPA 50% discount).
Provide optional Direct TV to students in the dorms.”I’m somebody that’s going to be here and be held accountable, I want to see change and I know I’m dedicated. I’m just one of you.”
Slogan: “I’m just one of you.”

Candidate: Robert Castro
Year in school: Senior
Major: Marketing
Leadership positions: Outstanding Government Chair in Student Government, president of FEC, president of Bacchus, vice president of Honor Council, member of Convocation Center Student Advisory Board, chair of Wellness Center Employee Advisory Board
Platform:
Initiate a commuter assistant peer resource center that would work similarly to the RA system in the dorms, providing support and assistance to commuter students.
Extend dining hall hours after 9 p.m. to allow students attending classes that end at 9:05 an opportunity to obtain a meal.
Ensure that Student Government covers the interests of all its constituencies.
Create a more cohesive SG and increase communication through the creation of a website that serves as a link between all branches of SG and facilitates communication between SG representatives and students.
Establish a general meeting once a month with all branches of SG. “I don’t want to let the students down; I’m a man of my word and I get things done.I want to put my energy into helping the University, and hopefully students will benefit from this.”
Slogan: “We have our eye on you!”

Candidate: Scott Sadowski
Year in school: Junior
Major: Finance and Economics
Leadership positions: Executive Chief of Staff for Student Government, Student Government Senate, Vice President of Sigma Phi Epsilon, Engineering Advisory Board.
Platform:
Extend shuttle route to include the School of Communication; provide free shuttle service to the airport.
Provide a wood chip lined trail around campus for running and jogging purposes.
Keep students on campus by providing better meals. This can be achieved by an increased food selection in the food court to include frozen yogurt and sushi stands.
Expand the Cane Express account use to include independent food stands and neighboring businesses, such as dry-cleaning, McDonalds, Moon, Blockbuster and delivery such as Papa Johns.
Create a three step process of developing the school that includes recruiting the best students by providing the option of an overnight visit with current students at the dorms, freshmen mentoring programs and working to improve the school’s reputation so that as alumni the UM degree has a higher recognized value.
Facilitate leadership retreats to allow organizations to grow together. “Strengthening the storm is all about taking what we have and maximizing our resources, making things work more efficiently. I’m a good listener and with over five years of Student Government experience our ticket will efficiently address the students’ needs in the upcoming school year.”
Slogan: “Strengthening the storm.”

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...