Campus Calendar & News Briefs

Planning on living on campus next year? Then don’t forget to pay your $250 non-refundable deposit to the cashier in the Ashe building. While you’re there, make sure you’re financially registered for the semester. If everything is all set then you will receive a confirmation letter before March 3.

Hurricane Productions presents Battle of the Bands with UM Physical Therapy at 7 p.m. in the Rat.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council will be having its annual Greek Extravaganza Step Show. The theme will be “Marveled Greeks: United for Battle.” Members of UM’s Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. will participate. The Show will start promptly at 8 p.m. in Gusman Concert Hall. Tickets are currently available from 12 to 2 p.m. at the UC Rock. Tickets can also be purchased from any UM NPHC member. Seats are limited and tickets will not be sold at the door, so make your purchases early!

Don’t miss your chance to see UM’s own Rebecca Buran competing on Hollywood Squares’ College Tournament. The show airs at 7:30 p.m. on CBS 4.

COSO’s council presents Success is in Advertising. This interesting, fun-filled and interactive session will help you learn the tricks of the trade to increasing attendance at your events. The session takes place at 1 p.m. in UC 211.

Communication Week begins at 10 a.m. in the Frances L. Wolfson Building Cable Studio C. A Spotlight Session will be held examining Media Challenges: Covering A Multicultural Society. The event is free and open to the public.

Come watch as the men’s basketball team takes on Georgetown at 12 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

The University of Miami School of Law invites you to attend the Multicultural Admissions Fair from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on the Law School Campus. For further information or to register for the event visit the School of Law’s web page at or call the Office of Admissions and Recruiting at 305-284-6746.

The women’s basketball team plays Providence at 3 p.m. at the Convocation Center.

Take a practice GRE at 11:30 a.m. in the UC Ballrooms. The Honors Students’ Association will be collecting a five dollar donation for Literacy Volunteers of America. For more information, contact 305-284-0090.

Women’s tennis plays USF at 1 p.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Complex.

Take a free practice GMAT with Alpha Kappa Psi (a professional business fraternity) at 11:30 a.m. in the UC Flamingo Ballrooms. To RSVP or for more information, contact 305-284-0090.

Come watch as the baseball team takes on San Diego State at 7 p.m. at the Mark Light Field.

Peter Howe will be signing books at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables at 7 p.m. as part of Communication Week. The noted photographer, former picture editor for The New York Times, director of photography for Life magazine and vice president of photography for Corbis will discuss his latest book, Shooting Under Fire.

The ladies of Zeta Tau Alpha, Gamma Alpha chapter, will be hosting their tenth annual Fashion show to benefit the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation and the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Survivors Program. The show will take place at the Radisson Mart Plaza Hotel, 711 NW 73 Ave. from 1 to 4 p.m. A reception and cocktails will take place from noon to 1 p.m. Tickets are $30 and include a luncheon and the show. There will also be a raffle, door prizes and a silent auction. For more information or to make a donation, contact Jacqueline at 786-512-6363.

At noon in Learning Center Room 130, Communication Week continues with Alternative Career Opportunities for Communication Students.
The Hurricanes baseball team has just announced that during Friday and Saturday games this season, Hurricanes fans will have the chance to win $10,000. On Friday nights, the Hurricanes will debut the Pollo Tropical $10,000 Dice for Dollars promotion. If the lucky participant spells C-A-N-E-S on their dice roll, he or she will win $10,000. On Saturday nights, the Hurricanes and OleoMed are proud to present the OleoMed $10,000 Super Saturdays promotion. A specific on-field event will be predetermined for the first, third, fifth, seventh and ninth innings. If any one of those events occurs during their respective inning, then one lucky fan will be $10,000 richer. Other promotions and giveaways announced will be the University of Miami Trading Cards sponsored by McArthur Dairy, the Ron Fraser Hurricanes Legend bobble head sponsored by OleoMed, the Hurricanes Not so Newlywed Game and more.

The University of Miami has named Richard F. Candia Assistant Vice President for Government Relations. In his new role, Candia will oversee state and federal government relations for the University, including its Medical Campus and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. Candia most recently served as Director of Governmental Relations at Florida International University (FIU). Previously, he was a legislative assistant to Florida Senator Mario Diaz-Balart and held various positions at the Florida Department of Labor. Candia holds a B.S. from Florida State University and will receive his M.B.A. this spring from FIU. He is a board member of the Florida Foster Care Review, the statewide Trust for Public Lands and a graduate of Leadership Miami. Married to Leandra, Candia resides in West Kendall with his wife and their two children, Alexander and Sara.

The Hurry ‘Cane shuttle stop on Hurricane Drive (San Amaro Ave.) across from the Hecht Athletic Center has been moved to the south side of Corniche Avenue.

The Department of Public Safety presents a 12-hour women’s course R.A.D. (Rape Aggression Defense), from 6 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 25 and 27 and March 4 and 6 at the Wellness Center. R.A.D. is a personal safety/violence prevention course offering basic education from risk reduction and avoidance to basic physical self-defense techniques designed specifically for women of all ages. Pre-registration is necessary as seating is limited. Wear comfortable clothing, sneakers or workout clothes. For information on registering and fees contact the Wellness Center at 305-284-8500.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...