Sports Briefs

Women’s track and field
Two University of Miami women’s indoor sprint records fell Friday night as sophomore sprinter Lauryn Williams set a new school record in the 60-meter dash and freshman Charlette Greggs set a new UM standard in the 200 meters to highlight action for the Hurricanes Friday at the Razorback-Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Williams won the 60 in a school-record time of 7.25 seconds Friday night, edging Auburn’s Elva Golbourne (7.28) to take the victory.
Williams, the 2002 World Junior Champion in the 100 meters, entered the meet ranked fifth in the nation in the 60 meters and 11th in the nation in the 200 meters and improved her standing in the 60 with a pair of record performances in the 60. The blistering time in the final bettered her qualifying time of 7.30 (also a UM record) that made her the fastest qualifier and automatically qualified her for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Championships to be held in March in Fayetteville.
The record-breaking performances by Williams, who has provisionally qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships in both the 60 meters and 200 meters, bettered her old UM record of 7.32 set on the same track at the 2002 NCAA Indoor Championships.
In the 200, Greggs led all Hurricanes sprinters with a fifth-place finish in a time of 23.56 seconds. That mark shattered the old UM record of 23.69 set by Wyllesheia Myrick in 2000 and bettered the NCAA automatic qualifying standard of 23.70. Williams was sixth in a PR of 23.86 while freshman Dominique Darden was seventh in 23.94 and senior Sashanie Sampson was 11th at 24.21. All three sprinters improved their NCAA provisional qualifying times with those performances.
In the 60-meter hurdles, senior Sharianne Lawson improved her NCAA provisional qualifying best with a personal-best time of 8.28 seconds in the qualifying heats, the second-fastest qualifying time to the final. UM senior Jamillah Wade also had a personal-best performance with a clocking of 8.59. In the final later on Friday evening, Lawson placed third in 8.31 while Wade was eighth in 8.72.

Men’s track and field
University of Miami student-athlete Dan Andrews will be honored at the Convocation Center on Thursday, February 13th, 6:00pm by the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce. Andrews will be among several honorees who will be inducted into the Sports Hall of Champions. Inductees include Don Strock and Jim Langer, Andrews will receive the Inspiration Award by the Chamber.
For additional information please contact Cornelia Pereira at The Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce at 305.577.5432

Swimming and diving
Sixteen members of the University of Miami swimming and diving team have qualified for the Big East Championships Feb. 20 through 22 in Uniondale, NY.
Colleen Adkins will compete in the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke and the 200 IM; Meghan Clabby will compete in the 100 and 200 breaststroke; Katalin Ferenczi, the 100 and 200 backstroke; Adrien Fergusen, the 100 and 200 butterfly as well as the 200 IM; Erin Johns, 50 and 100 freestyle; Megan Kinsella, 100 and 200 free; Martyna Krawczyk, 100 and 200 breast; Elaine Schwartz, 200 fly and the 200 and 400 IM; Christina Swanson, 50 free and 100 and 200 breast; Manon Van Rooijen, the 200 IM and 100 and 200 free; Tammy Watts, the 100 and 200 back; and Christine Williams, the 50, 100, and 200 free.
From the Hurricanes’ diving squad, Katie Beth Bryant, Melanie Rinaldi, Emily Spychala, and Miguel Velazquez will all compete in both the one and three-meter events.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...