Sports Briefs

Women’s track and field
Two University of Miami women’s indoor sprint records fell Friday night as sophomore sprinter Lauryn Williams set a new school record in the 60-meter dash and freshman Charlette Greggs set a new UM standard in the 200 meters to highlight action for the Hurricanes Friday at the Razorback-Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
Williams won the 60 in a school-record time of 7.25 seconds Friday night, edging Auburn’s Elva Golbourne (7.28) to take the victory.
Williams, the 2002 World Junior Champion in the 100 meters, entered the meet ranked fifth in the nation in the 60 meters and 11th in the nation in the 200 meters and improved her standing in the 60 with a pair of record performances in the 60. The blistering time in the final bettered her qualifying time of 7.30 (also a UM record) that made her the fastest qualifier and automatically qualified her for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Championships to be held in March in Fayetteville.
The record-breaking performances by Williams, who has provisionally qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships in both the 60 meters and 200 meters, bettered her old UM record of 7.32 set on the same track at the 2002 NCAA Indoor Championships.
In the 200, Greggs led all Hurricanes sprinters with a fifth-place finish in a time of 23.56 seconds. That mark shattered the old UM record of 23.69 set by Wyllesheia Myrick in 2000 and bettered the NCAA automatic qualifying standard of 23.70. Williams was sixth in a PR of 23.86 while freshman Dominique Darden was seventh in 23.94 and senior Sashanie Sampson was 11th at 24.21. All three sprinters improved their NCAA provisional qualifying times with those performances.
In the 60-meter hurdles, senior Sharianne Lawson improved her NCAA provisional qualifying best with a personal-best time of 8.28 seconds in the qualifying heats, the second-fastest qualifying time to the final. UM senior Jamillah Wade also had a personal-best performance with a clocking of 8.59. In the final later on Friday evening, Lawson placed third in 8.31 while Wade was eighth in 8.72.

Men’s track and field
University of Miami student-athlete Dan Andrews will be honored at the Convocation Center on Thursday, February 13th, 6:00pm by the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce. Andrews will be among several honorees who will be inducted into the Sports Hall of Champions. Inductees include Don Strock and Jim Langer, Andrews will receive the Inspiration Award by the Chamber.
For additional information please contact Cornelia Pereira at The Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce at 305.577.5432

Swimming and diving
Sixteen members of the University of Miami swimming and diving team have qualified for the Big East Championships Feb. 20 through 22 in Uniondale, NY.
Colleen Adkins will compete in the 100 and 200-yard breaststroke and the 200 IM; Meghan Clabby will compete in the 100 and 200 breaststroke; Katalin Ferenczi, the 100 and 200 backstroke; Adrien Fergusen, the 100 and 200 butterfly as well as the 200 IM; Erin Johns, 50 and 100 freestyle; Megan Kinsella, 100 and 200 free; Martyna Krawczyk, 100 and 200 breast; Elaine Schwartz, 200 fly and the 200 and 400 IM; Christina Swanson, 50 free and 100 and 200 breast; Manon Van Rooijen, the 200 IM and 100 and 200 free; Tammy Watts, the 100 and 200 back; and Christine Williams, the 50, 100, and 200 free.
From the Hurricanes’ diving squad, Katie Beth Bryant, Melanie Rinaldi, Emily Spychala, and Miguel Velazquez will all compete in both the one and three-meter events.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...