Hurricane tennis has busy weekend

The University of Miami men’s tennis team bounced back from Friday’s loss to Florida with a convincing 6-1 victory over Florida A&M Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the Coral Gables campus.
First-singles player Todd Widom who is ranked ninth among Division 1 collegiate players, rebounded from his first loss of the season with a convincing 6-1, 6-3 win over Florida A&M’s Pfungwa Mahefu.
In doubles play, the Hurricanes swept each match. Luis Manrique and Shauny Hoyes defeated Mahefu and Noel Wadawu 9-8 (6); Andrew Golub and Colin Purcell took an 8-2 win over La’Vaughn Munroe and Zura Zhvania and Widom and Eric Hechtman beat Kamau Murray and Davin Russell 8-4.
The Hurricanes conceded just one match among the singles. Colin Purcell upended Davin Russell 6-4, 6-2; Hechtman defeated Zhvania 6-1, 6-1; and Hoyes toppled Murray 6-1, 6-0.
In the most closely contested match of the afternoon, Golub edged Munroe 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.
The Hurricanes next match is Saturday, Feb. 22 when they travel to play rival Florida State in Tallahassee at 1 p.m.
The No. 14 women’s team suffered its first loss of the 2003 season falling, 6-1, to No. 2 University of Florida Saturday afternoon at the Alfred Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville, Fla.
The Hurricanes fall to 4-1 on the season, while the Gators improve to 7-1. Additionally, Florida improves its all-time series record over Miami to 31-21.
Freshman Melissa Applebaum was the only Hurricane to earn a singles point, defeating No. 9 Alex Gordon with a straight set victory, 6-3, 6-2. Applebaum improves her record to a perfect 5-0.
Despite an 8-4 doubles victory by Abby Smith and Igna DeVilliers over Florida’s No. 7 duo of Alex Gordon and Julia Scaringe, Florida took two of the three doubles matches to jump out to an early 1-0 lead.
Florida’s No. 26 Zerene Reyes routed Miami’s Ewelina Skaza 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 5 position to give the Gator’s its first singles point and a 2-0 lead.
UF took a convincing 3-0 lead when No. 83 Jennifer Magley defeated Sara Robbins, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 6 singles spot.
Finally, at the No. 1 position, No. 7 Lindsay Dawaf defeated Miami’s Megan Bradley, 6-2, 7-6 to clinch the match victory for Florida.
The Hurricanes are back in action as they host Harvard on Monday, Feb. 17 at 11 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the UM campus.

(Courtesy of the Sports Information Department)

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...