Success for track team in Gainesville

Junior Matt Mulvaney finished second in the 5,000-meters with a Big East indoor qualifying mark of 14:54 to highlight Sunday’s action at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, FL. The Hurricanes’ Glenn Sharpe recorded a time of 22.09 in the 200-meters and also qualified for the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championships, February 22-23, in Syracuse, NY. Senior Jabari Ennis, currently ranked No. 1 in the Big East in the pole vault, recorded a mark of 16-05.00, his second best result of the season.
The Gator Invitational marks the final tune-up for the Hurricanes before the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championships.
The University of Miami women’s track and field team moved up to No. 9 in the nation in the latest Trackwire Top-25 poll released this week. The Hurricanes, who ranked 22nd in last week’s poll, garnered 18 points moving them into a tie for ninth with Indiana and Illinois.
Miami has been led this season by sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams and freshman sensation Charlette Greggs. Trackwire ranks Williams, the 2002 World Junior Champion in the 100-meters, fifth in the nation in the 60-meters and 11th in the nation in the 200-meters. Williams has provisionally qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships in both the 60-meters and 200-meters.
Greggs, who has automatically qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships in the 400-meters and provisionally qualified in the 200-meters, ranks seventh in the nation in the 200-meters and sixth in the nation in the 400-meters. Greggs, who had not competed in indoor track prior to this season, is also the anchor of the third ranked 4×400-meter relay along with freshman Dominique Darden, Jamillah Wade, and junior Kitoya Carter.
Greggs broke the school-record in the 400-meters and anchored the champion 4×400-meter relay to lead the 20th-ranked University of Miami women’s track and field team at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, FL. Greggs finished third in the 400-meters with a time of 53.66, which ranks sixth nationally and automatically qualifies her for the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships, March 14-15, in Fayetteville, AR. Greggs, who also has the fourth fastest time in the nation in the 200-meters, had not competed in indoor track until this season.
The 4×400-meter relay of Darden, Wade, Carter and Greggs won for the second time this season posting a time of 3:37.05. The winning time shattered the old UM record by over three seconds and is the fourth fastest time in the nation this season. The time is also an NCAA provisional qualifying mark.
In the shot put, junior Jennifer Penrose shattered the school-record by almost three feet posting a mark of 15.31 meters (50-02.75). Penrose, who also holds the school outdoor record in the shot put, is the first women’s thrower in school-history to surpass 50 feet.
Also ranked nationally is senior Sharianne Lawson. The defending Big East 100-hurdle champion is ranked sixth in the nation in the 60-meter hurdles.
Lawson also provisionally qualified for the NCAA Indoor Championships finishing third in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 7.76. Lawson currently ranks 11th in the nation in the 60-meter hurdles.
Also provisionally qualifying for the NCAA Championships was senior All-American Patricia Pearson, who took fifth in the 800-meters with a time of 2:09.13.

-Compiled by the Sports Information Department

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...