Disparate Views of Iraqi War: Right vs. Left

The following is a hypothetical dialogue between a liberal and conservative over the possibility of war with Iraq.

Conservative: So, do you think we should go to war with Iraq?
Liberal: Oh my God, no. Think of all the innocent civilians and American soldiers who will die.
Conservative: Sure. There may be some, but think of the millions worldwide who would die if Saddam uses his chemical or biological weapons.
Liberal: That’s crazy. Why would he ever do a thing like that? He’s not an imminent threat. Plus, we should concentrate on the war against terrorism.
Conservative: Saddam is the world’s worst terrorist! He has used chemical weapons against his own people, invaded Kuwait, supports the families of Palestinian suicide bombers, shoots at American planes every day, is attempting to build a nuclear weapon and has ties to Al-Qaeda terrorists. With a nuclear weapon, Saddam would hold a knife to the international community’s throat, as North Korea currently does.
Liberal: Well, that all may be true, but we should give the U.N. inspectors more time to find the weapons. Maybe they’ll uncover and confiscate them. All our troops could go home. We’ve already found some empty chemical warheads. We wouldn’t have to occupy Iraq after the war and Saddam will be disarmed.
Conservative: The U.N. inspections along with the entire United Nations are a farce. How could we possibly find the weapons in a country the size of France? Saddam has done everything possible to stifle the inspections in clear violation of U.N. resolution 1441, not to mention all the other U.N. resolutions he’s already violated.
Liberal: I don’t care! This war is about oil! That SUV-driving retard of a President and his oil buddies just want to exploit Iraq for its oil. It’s blood for oil!
Conservative: It’s partially a war about oil, yes, but not for oil. With biological or nuclear weapons, Saddam could invade his neighbors and control the world’s oil supply.
Liberal: If that happens we could all just drive those hydro-powered electric cars. Just think of all the pollution we could stop. It would be great for the environment, God’s true gift to mankind, unlike that filthy oil. I’ve had enough of this for now; let’s go smoke up.
Conservative: Nah, I have to look over my stock portfolio.

Pete Trombadore is a freshman majoring in Business Administration. He can be contacted at petetrombadore@hotmail.com.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...