Campus Calendar and News Briefs

UBS and The Presidents’ Lecture Series present “Life and Def with Russell Simmons” of Def Jam Records, Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation and Phat Farm Clothing. The lecture will be at 7 p.m. in Gusman Hall with doors opening at 6:15. Seating is limited so pick up your tickets in UC 209.

Black Reunion Weekend continues with “Hot on the Block” at 2 p.m. in the UC Ballrooms A and B. This is your chance to discuss and debate current issues in an open forum with UM alumni, faculty, and staff

Join Black Awareness Month for the Harlem Renaissance Royal Ball at the Wyndham Miami Airport Hotel from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Prizes will be awarded for best dressed. Tickets are on sale now in the breezeway from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tickets are $20 dollars in advance or $22 the week of the ball.

You’re invited to a Student-Alumni Networking Mixer, part of Black Alumni Weekend, from 12 to 3 p.m. at the Law School Student Lounge. This is your chance to meet UM alumni, talk about job opportunities and enjoy a free catered lunch! Sponsored by Turner Construction Company.

End Black Reunion Weekend with a student-alumni picnic at Tropical Park in the Lakeside Pavilion. Enjoy games and a free catered BBQ with fellow students and alumni. Free bus transportation will be provided by Miami-Dade Transit from the campus to the park. Bus will depart from Stanford Circle at 12 p.m. For more information, contact UBS at 305-284-2583 or the Office of Alumni Relations at 305-284-2872.

A Clown Eucharist will be at the Episcopal Church on campus at 10 a.m. You are invited to join this bizarre-sounding yet surprisingly moving worship experience. The church is located at the corner of Stanford Drive and Levante, by the Stanford Drive guard gate.

Want your voice to be heard? Then don’t miss the Student Government Presidential Debate at 7 p.m. in the Rathskeller.

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter will hold an Alumni-Mentor Reception at 7 p.m. in the UC 233. Direct any questions to

The Dean of Enrollments is seeking students to give their reactions and suggestions regarding the advising process at UM. A discussion will be held from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Lewis Room at the Rathskeller. Participants will receive a free lunch and free UM gear. For more information, call 305-284-5718.

The Spring 2002 Leadership Institute Workshops begins with Recognizing your Resources at 1 p.m. in UC 233.

Don’t miss your chance to see UM Women’s basketball take on No. 2 UConn at 7:30 p.m. in the Convocation Center.

The Wellness Center is looking for the deadliest sharpshooters on campus. Who will they be? The top three men and top three women will compete for prizes ranging from PowerBar products to Hurricane Game gear. The finalists will compete at halftime of a UM basketball game. For more information and to sign-up call Jason Caroll at 305-284-8518.

As part of this year’s inaugural Stamps Family Charitable Foundation Distinguished Visitors Series at the UM School of Music, Chairman of Harman International, Dr. Sidney Harman, will speak about Entrepreneurism in the Music Industry at 4 p.m. at the Maurice Gusman Concert Hall.

Planning on living on campus next year? Then don’t forget to pay your $250 non-refundable deposit to the cashier in the Ashe building. While you’re there, make sure your financially registered for the semester. If everything is all set then you will receive a confirmation letter before March 3.

UM is investigating the feasibility of purchasing the Cutler Bay Corporate Centre, the former location for the Burger King Corporation’s worldwide headquarters. The site would house a major component of the University’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science [RSMAS], one of the world’s top marine and weather research centers. The school’s Dean, Otis Brown, and faculty will evaluate the merits of the facilities and will present their recommendation to President Donna E. Shalala and the Board of Trustees for approval.
RSMAS, located on Virginia Key, is the only subtropical oceanographic research institute of its kind in North America. The School conducts research related to ocean and weather patterns, coral reef habitats, global warming trends, hurricane systems and oil spills.
“The coastal location would offer the school needed additional research space, as well as modern classrooms,” said University Provost Luis Glaser.
Combined, the increased space and strategic location would allow the School to strengthen research and academic programs, attract additional top Faculty and graduate students and compete more favorably for federal research grants. The proposed property is located near other University-owned facilities in South Miami-Dade County.

UM’s own Devi Sridhar, the youngest American Rhodes Scholar ever, is getting some more national recognition. In the March issue of Glamour, Sridhar is included on the list “Wow women from A to Z,” which also places Sridhar in the ranks of Condoleezza Rice, Missy Elliott and Lisa Leslie, among others.

The Jerry Herman Ring Theatre presents two hilarious mini-musicals in a single performance. The Frogs and Midsummer Madness are freely adapted and tuneful spins on classic comedies by Aristophanes and Shakespeare. Together, these two mini-musicals make for one hysterical theatrical event! UM Student tickets are $8 for weeknights and matinees; $10 for Friday and Saturday nights. Totally Tuesday, exclusive free performance for UM students only, will be held on Feb. 18 at 8 p.m. Please arrive at 7:30 p.m. with your student ID. For more information, call 305-284-3355 or log on to

Two new members have joined the University’s Board of Trustees. They are Hilarie Bass, a UM alumna and lawyer and shareholder with Greenberg Traurig law firm, and E. Roe Stamps IV, a founding partner of Summit Partners, a private equity and venture capital firm.

All students who do not live on campus should be getting ready for the Ninth Annual ‘Cane Craze. Similar to Sports Fest, ‘Cane Craze is a two-day event filled with fun and “crazy” activities. Entries are accepted Feb. 10 – 25. Play begins March 1 and 2. To sign up a team, stop by the Wellness Center administrative office on the second floor. For more information, call Jason Carroll at 305-284-8518 or logon to the website

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...