Sports Briefs

Women’s tennis
Sophomore Megan Bradley clinched the 4-3 win for the No. 21-ranked Miami women’s tennis team over No. 45 Baylor Saturday afternoon in Waco, Texas. The Hurricanes remain undefeated on the season improving to 3-0 overall, while Baylor falls to 1-3 on the season. Bradley won the first set 6-2 over No. 43 Vida Mulec before losing the second set 7-5. She clinched the win for Miami winning the third set 6-4. The Hurricanes were down 1-0 in the match losing the doubles point with losses at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Melissa Applebaum tied the match one-all as she defeated Barbora Blahutiakova in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 4 singles spot. Baylor took the 2-1 lead as Izabella Mijic defeated Sihem Bennacer 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6 singles. Mari Toro tied the match for the second time at two-all with a straight set 6-3, 6-3 victory over Anna Moncolova at No. 2 singles. The Bears took their final lead on the day as Daria Potapova earned a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Ewelina Skaza at the No. 5 spot. Staci Stevens tied the match three-all with a three set victory over Stephanie Balzert 6-1, 5-7, 6-4 at No. 3 singles. The Hurricanes face No. 12 Texas at 2 p.m. EST Sunday afternoon in Austin, Texas.

Women’s track and field
University of Miami sophomore Amber Williams won the pentathlon with a school-record total of 3,529 points at the State Farms Games in Morgantown, WV. Williams, who broke her own school-mark of 3,511 points set at last season’s Big East Indoor Championships, crushed the field defeating second-place finisher Nancy Regalbulto by 360 points. Williams won two of the five events finishing first in the 55-meter hurdles (8.40) and long jump (5.39 meters/17-08.25), and took second in the high jump (1.56 meters/5-01.25). In addition, Williams recorded a personal-best mark of 10.08 meters (33-01.00) in the shot put. The remainder of the Hurricanes women’s track and field team will compete Sunday, February 9 at the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, FL.

Football
The University of Miami football program has received a National Letter of Intent from defensive lineman Teraz McCray of Pompano Beach (Fla.) Ely High School to attend UM on a football scholarship, head football coach Larry Coker announced. McCray’s signing moves the Hurricanes’ total of 2003 football signees to 24 as McCray joins the group of 23 student-athletes who signed letters of intent to play football for the Hurricanes on Wednesday. Traditionally a program that recruits heavily in South Florida while also scanning the nation for top talent, Miami stayed true to that tradition this year. The Hurricanes signed 18 players from the state of Florida including 17 from the Greater Miami area. Miami maintained its status as a national recruiter as the class was geographically diverse with signees from five different states. Two players from Texas, two players from New Jersey and one player each from California and Louisiana had signed on to the Hurricanes football squad. The group includes three Parade All-Americans and 11 SuperPrep All-Americans.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...