Now is the time for the sleeping giant to wake up

America has grown arrogant. I was raised by parents who truly believed–and still do–that our country is invincible: the sleeping giant. But perhaps that will be our tragic flaw–we’re still sleeping.
My parents would shun this column, labeling me as a defeatist, but I ask you: wasn’t Russia a superpower once too? How are we so sure that we will once again be victorious? How can we beat people who have more to gain in death than in life?
A famous man once said that the greatest enemy is the man who has no fear. Well, when you’re flying a kamikaze plane into an American landmark because your family will finally be relieved from the impoverished condition under which you’ve spent your entire life, I’d say that’s cause for concern. I’m not saying defeat is imminent, but I am saying it’s a possibility; a possibility that will become ever more likely the less we consider it as such.
In retrospect, it was necessary for all previous empires to fall in order for us to achieve our status, and what great empire considers itself fallible? Who gets up in the morning and thinks, “today, I will be struck by lightning?” So, who’s to say that it’s not our turn?
Within the past two years, we’ve been thrust into a sort of existence never experienced in America before. Men and women blow themselves up in restaurants and subways all the time in other countries. But it’s so far away, and so foreign to the lifestyles to which we’ve grown accustomed, that it couldn’t possibly happen to us–could it?
But it already is: racial profiling, increased airport security, suspicion over one-way tickets and an economy under serious duress. Still, we turn the other cheek; turning off the television, playing CDs instead of radio, for fear of hearing a newsbreak that we just aren’t prepared to hear.
Where is this all going to lead? As we draw closer and closer to war with Iraq, we send troops overseas and thus leave our own borders less protected from domestic attack. I wonder what will be next and when will we wise up to the possibility and increasing likelihood that life is going to change very drastically.
This war will be different. This war won’t be so far away that we’re able to turn it off with the flick of a remote. And our patriotic ignorance isn’t going to help at all–it’s only going to make us more prone to infiltration from enemy sources that are plotting, plotting, plotting away while the arrogant giant is still sleeping.

Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior majoring in Advertising and English. She can be contacted at witz615@aol.com.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...