Campus Calendar & News Briefs

TODAY
Are you in the process of selecting a major or considering a change of major? Are you possibly interested in adding a major? Toppel Career Center will have a Majors Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Whitten University Center Lower Lounge. Come talk with faculty representatives from these schools and colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business, Communication, Education and Nursing. The Pre-Law and Honors Programs will also have representatives to whom you will be able to talk.

What would you do if you only had seven days to live? Don’t know? Well, you should start planning now because, after watching the videotape, your days are numbered. The Cinematic Arts Commission and Hurricane Productions bring you one of the scariest movies of 2002: THE RING. Show times are 8 and 10 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema, on the second floor of the Memorial Building. Enjoy the show, but be warned now: seven days is not that long! For more information, visit www.um-hp.com.

Commuter Student Affairs and the Dean of Enrollments invite you to a Commuter Student Luncheon from 12 to 1 p.m. at the Rat. Space is limited, so don’t forget to sign up in UC 236.

Men’s basketball takes on Virginia Tech at 7:30 p.m. in the Convocation Center.

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 12

Chris Matthews’ “Hard Ball: The College Tour” on MSNBC will broadcast live from the School of Communication courtyard. Matthews’ guest will be Bernard Goldberg, former CBS correspondent and author of the best-selling, controversial book Bias, in which Goldberg is critical of the US news media’s liberal bias in reporting. About 500 seats will be available for an audience, and all UM students are invited to attend. Those who do are asked to wear UM/Hurricane clothing, but no face paint, banners or posters are allowed. Seating begins at 7:30 p.m., and the show goes on the air at 9 p.m. No one will be seated after 8:30 p.m. Matthews will also be holding a book signing from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the UC bookstore.

FEC will be selling “Pan con Croqueta” in the UC breezeway from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for only two dollars. Don’t miss your chance to taste this authentic Cuban delicacy. Mmmm!

Join the Wellness Center between 5 and 7 p.m. in the Atrium for Healthy Heart Day. The event will provide you with information to protect both your physical and your emotional heart. The event will include free smoothies, condoms, blood pressure screenings and body composition checks. For more information, contact 305-284-6524.

As part of Black Awareness Month, you are invited to attend Influential African Americans in South Florida at the Toppel Library at 6 p.m. Join in a conversation with some of the most influential African American professionals in the South Florida community. Topics of discussion will include how to get into the field of your dreams, how to make your dreams a reality and how to make a difference in your community while earning a living.

Visions UM is showing And the Band Played On at 8 p.m. For more information, contact Azuree Ashby at 305-284-4483 or aashby@miami.edu.

Join COSO and the Leadership Institute for Marketing Madness. The workshop will provide you with the opportunity to learn marketing strategies for recruitment and for your events’ success. Learn valuable information from guest speaker Michael Tsiros, from the marketing department, as well a from other student leaders. The workshop will be held at 5 p.m. in UC 241.

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 13
The Center for Research on Sport in Society and the College of Arts and Sciences begin their Spring Lecture Series 2003 with Kevin M. Young’s North American Sports Crowd Disorder at 5 p.m., in room 101 of Pearson Residential College. The lecture is free and open to the public and refreshments will be served. For more information or to RSVP contact 305-284-3690.

Interested in studying abroad this summer of fall? Then don’t miss the study abroad information session! This is your opportunity to meet advisors and past participants. The session will take place from noon to 2 p.m. in the UC, ballroom A. For more information visit Allen Hall 212 or contact Chris Tingue at 305-284-3434. Refreshments will be served. The application deadline is March 1, so don’t delay.

Americans have recognized black history annually since 1926, first as “Negro History Week” and later as “Black History Month.” The celebration of Black History Month is attributed to Dr. Carter G. Woodson, who, born to former slaves, spent his childhood working in the Kentucky coal mines, enrolled in high school at age 20 and later went on to earn a Ph.D. from Harvard. Woodson was disturbed to find that history books largely ignored the black American population, and when recognized, it was generally in ways that reflected the inferior social position they were assigned at the time. Woodson chose the second week of February for Negro History Week because it marks the birthdays of two men who greatly impacted the American black population, Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. UM celebrates Black History Month with lectures, concerts, reunions and more throughout the month.

The University of Miami was named the second best institution in the world by postdoctoral fellows taking part in an international survey conducted by The Scientist, a news magazine about the life sciences. The magazine posted a Web-based survey called “Best Places for Postdocs” and invited fellows worldwide to assess their postdoctoral experience by indicating their level of agreement with statements about factors ranging from faculty support to quality of life. The only school to finish above the University of Miami was Rutgers University in New Jersey.
Attention creative writing majors and minors: CaneZine, a web-based, student-published magazine, is looking for submissions. If you’re interested, submit one or more of the following: three to five poems, three to five flash fiction or short shorts, one short story, one essay or creative non-fiction piece and/or one interview. Submissions should be e-mailed as an attachment to either NdeLaFlor@aol.com or mseaton@miami.edu. Submission deadlines are Feb. 28 and March 28. Be sure to include your name, email address, class and phone number.

Thanks to the University of Miami’s new research satellite facility, scientists can now see into the core of storms and hurricanes, watch volcanoes before they erupt and even observe the energy transfer between ocean waves and the sky, from space.
The new Center for Southeastern Tropical Advanced Remote Sensing (CSTARS) is the University’s newest facility conducting research with data received from earth orbiting satellite systems. Part of the Rosenstiel School, CSTARS is located at the newly acquired Richmond campus in southern Miami-Dade county. One of the most exciting research benefits of CSTARS is its ability to help scientists better understand and predict natural hazards over land and ocean. The advanced imaging techniques will also improve preparedness and emergency response and relief in the event of natural disasters.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...