Guevara was a Tyrant, and Un-American at that

Almost every day, I see a UM student around campus proudly wearing a Che Guevara T-shirt.
Leftist propaganda portrays Guevara as a “freedom fighter” and a champion of the common man. In 1954, Guevara plotted an overthrow of Cuba’s Batista Government in Mexico with then-exiled Cuban revolutionary Fidel Castro. With the successful completion of the coup, Castro’s despotic communist regime took power on January 1, 1959. Guevara was instrumental in shaping the policies of Castro’s Cuba and played a significant role in the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Guevara tried but fortunately failed to export his evil ideals through Communist revolutions in the Congo and Bolivia. Ultimately, he envisioned the spread of Communism throughout South America. With the assistance of the CIA, Guevara was captured and executed by the Bolivian Army in 1967.
Any United States citizen who accepts and lives under the inalienable human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, yet glorifies Che Guevara-an enemy of the United States and all it stands for-is at the height of hypocrisy.
For the last forty-three years, Castro has ruled a brutal, despotic regime in Cuba. Ask any citizen of Cuba whether Guevara fought for their freedom; they’ll explain they haven’t the freedoms of speech, press, assembly and association. Political dissidents in Cuba are routinely imprisoned, tortured and executed; free and fair elections are non-existent.
Practicing of any religious faith is closely monitored and scrutinized by the regime; clergy and parishioners are subjected to harassment at the hands of government officers. The people of Cuba live in abject poverty in result of the stagnant centralized economy and the regime’s pilfering of any profits.
Furthermore, Guevara’s image dishonors the tens of thousands of U.S. soldiers who died fighting against the inherently immoral Communism system. The glorification of Che Guevara deeply insults both the Cuban exile community and anyone who believes in the ideals of democracy.

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at petetrombadore@hotmail.com.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...