Exploring the depths of female sexuality – Britney Spears need not apply

With so many young girls trying to attain a false sense of sexuality made popular by magazines, movie stars, and music icons, A.A. Rucci shows a much more realistic portrayal of femininity and sensuality. Living up to his current reputation as one of the most innovative and creative artists touring the Miami art circuit, Rucci’s works were nothing less than inspiring.

His “Headless” series, currently displayed at the Ambrosino Gallery in North Miami, shows his work from 2000 to the present. Six large acrylic paintings portray an approximately two-inch headless female figure reproduced in various poses and stages of undress, centered on a single-colored background. Each work, explicitly different in its poses and overall appeal, was drawn with meticulous detail and specific attention to the interactions between the figures. “Small works engage the viewer to observe each work intimately,” Rucci explained at his opening last Friday.

Rucci’s search for a female figure to draw eventually led him to a close friend who he felt epitomizes real-life women. Strangely, I found myself relating some paintings to members of the Spice Girls or to some other imaginary train-wreck of a girl group. Soon I was putting a face to each figure just as Rucci had expected of his viewers.

“Posh:” The most erotic of the works with figures laying or sitting with legs open and inviting. One woman’s hand is outstretched towards the sky while another’s explores the crevices of her own womanhood against a navy blue background.

“Scary:” Aggressive and wild like the ultra red canvas, women prance around holding sharp menacing objects like meat cleavers, spades, and machetes.

“Sporty:” Its grayish-blue backdrop surrounds a group of figures whose poses ooze Bob Fosse-like appeal.

Ginger:” Everyone’s favorite slut (before Christina Aguilera of course)! Sexy, alluring poses, and hands exploring each other’s bodies seem to tease the viewer amidst a deep green backdrop.

“Baby:” A virginal pink canvas surrounds a group of headless cheerleaders. The sweet seemingly innocent “Britney Spears/ Olsen twin hybrids” pose as one defiant cheerleader facing backwards bends down with legs spread just enough that her panties peak out from below her skirt. Rucci had decided his opening would be the metaphorical cherry popping of these pieces…in celebration of the Olsen twins becoming of legal age (hey, someone had to do it).

In the future, Rucci plans to make larger headless composites with up to four hundred figures on one canvas and is also thinking about creating a coloring book for adults using some of his figures.

His work is on display at the Ambrosino Gallery, 769 NE 125th St., North Miami, through Feb. 23. Call 305-891-5577 for more info.

Chris Howard can be reached at BBHMM3234@aol.com

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...