Religious groups reach out to students at Chaplain’s Fair

Amid Kosher pizza, Bibles, KFC and hip-hop music, over a dozen on-campus religious groups at UM sought to expose students to the religious options that exist at UM at the semi-annual Chaplain’s Association Fair, held Tuesday on the UC patio.
“We want to let students know that we care for them,” said Father Frank Corbishley of the Episcopal Church Center. “These [religious]centers should be students’ home away from home.”
The Wesley Foundation, Baptist Collegiate Ministries, Catholic Campus Ministry and the Hillel and Chabad Jewish organizations were among the groups that shared worship service times, community service activity ideas and social events that are planned for the semester.
According to organizers, the groups have agreed for years to put aside their differences and come together whenever possible to benefit UM students, despite the diversity of the organizations and beliefs represented.
“We involve ourselves in the day-to-day activities dealing with faith and life, heart and mind,” says a portion of the mission statement of the Chaplain’s Association.
“We try to talk about issues relevant to students’ lives and scripture,” said Silvia Tarafa, director of the Campus Catholic Ministry. “We want to reach as many people as possible.”
Some UM students who are affiliated with the religious groups assisted the leaders and organizations in talking to others.
“I, as a student, am trying to raise campus awareness about the Baptist College Ministries,” said UM student Becky Varreth. “Some people don’t realize that the Baptist College Ministries is located on campus. We’re letting people know.”
“I’m a freshman and I’d like to see more new students like me getting involved. We eat, hang out and talk about important things,” freshman Cynthia Jeyapaul said. “These groups are a great alternative to the Miami ‘party scene.'”
Students are encouraged to contact the organizations in which they are interested.

Jacklyn Lisenby can be contacted at j.lisenby@umsis.Miami.edu.

Organization Contact Information
Athletes in Action
Steve DeBardelaben
305-667-5530

Athlete Ministries
Girard Middleton
305-773-1142

Baptist Collegiate Ministry
Chris Price
305-667-1066

Campus Crusade for Christ
Troy Coons
305-720-8193

Chabad
Rabbi Menachem Mendel Fellig
305-206-4013

Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship
Rev. Joe Lortie
305-742-5442

Christian Science Organization
Dr. Carol Warburton
305-667-0703

The Episcopal/Anglican Church Center
Fr. Frank Corbishley
Phone: 305-284-2333

Hillel Jewish Student Organization
Rabbi Samuel Bregman
305-665-6948

Intervarsity Christian Fellowship
Jamie Johnston
305-381-6344

Lutheran Campus Ministry
Pastor Arnold Perry
305-444-0425

St. Augustine Church/Student Center
Fr. Bernard Kirlin
305-661-1648

The Wesley Foundation
Delano M. McIntosh
305-661-1695

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...