Religious groups reach out to students at Chaplain’s Fair

Amid Kosher pizza, Bibles, KFC and hip-hop music, over a dozen on-campus religious groups at UM sought to expose students to the religious options that exist at UM at the semi-annual Chaplain’s Association Fair, held Tuesday on the UC patio.
“We want to let students know that we care for them,” said Father Frank Corbishley of the Episcopal Church Center. “These [religious]centers should be students’ home away from home.”
The Wesley Foundation, Baptist Collegiate Ministries, Catholic Campus Ministry and the Hillel and Chabad Jewish organizations were among the groups that shared worship service times, community service activity ideas and social events that are planned for the semester.
According to organizers, the groups have agreed for years to put aside their differences and come together whenever possible to benefit UM students, despite the diversity of the organizations and beliefs represented.
“We involve ourselves in the day-to-day activities dealing with faith and life, heart and mind,” says a portion of the mission statement of the Chaplain’s Association.
“We try to talk about issues relevant to students’ lives and scripture,” said Silvia Tarafa, director of the Campus Catholic Ministry. “We want to reach as many people as possible.”
Some UM students who are affiliated with the religious groups assisted the leaders and organizations in talking to others.
“I, as a student, am trying to raise campus awareness about the Baptist College Ministries,” said UM student Becky Varreth. “Some people don’t realize that the Baptist College Ministries is located on campus. We’re letting people know.”
“I’m a freshman and I’d like to see more new students like me getting involved. We eat, hang out and talk about important things,” freshman Cynthia Jeyapaul said. “These groups are a great alternative to the Miami ‘party scene.'”
Students are encouraged to contact the organizations in which they are interested.

Jacklyn Lisenby can be contacted at j.lisenby@umsis.Miami.edu.

Organization Contact Information
Athletes in Action
Steve DeBardelaben
305-667-5530

Athlete Ministries
Girard Middleton
305-773-1142

Baptist Collegiate Ministry
Chris Price
305-667-1066

Campus Crusade for Christ
Troy Coons
305-720-8193

Chabad
Rabbi Menachem Mendel Fellig
305-206-4013

Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship
Rev. Joe Lortie
305-742-5442

Christian Science Organization
Dr. Carol Warburton
305-667-0703

The Episcopal/Anglican Church Center
Fr. Frank Corbishley
Phone: 305-284-2333

Hillel Jewish Student Organization
Rabbi Samuel Bregman
305-665-6948

Intervarsity Christian Fellowship
Jamie Johnston
305-381-6344

Lutheran Campus Ministry
Pastor Arnold Perry
305-444-0425

St. Augustine Church/Student Center
Fr. Bernard Kirlin
305-661-1648

The Wesley Foundation
Delano M. McIntosh
305-661-1695

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...