Campus Calendar and News Briefs

Come out and party with young Arab-Americans featuring DJ Nile spinning the latest and hottest Arabic and international music at the Rathskeller. Argeela Night is from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Email

Resident Assistant applications are due at the Department of Residence Halls Office in the North wing of Eaton Residential College by 5 p.m.

Sportsfest, the three-day competition between the residential colleges and apartment area, kicks off at the Rat at 5 p.m.

Come laugh till you cry at the Rathskeller from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. Hurricane Productions present Belly Bust featuring Leon Rodgers.

Women’s Tennis vs. Florida Atlantic at 4 p.m. in the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Take a FREE GMAT, LSAT, TOEFL or MCAT practice test at Kaplan’s Test Drive. To enroll, call 305-284-0090.

Watch the Women’s Basketball team take on Villanova at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center.

Interested in a 2-Ball competition? Preliminary rounds begin today and run until Thursday at the Wellness Center. Contact Jason Caroll at 305-284-8518 to sign up.

A mandatory Student Government Elections meeting will take place from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Whitten University Center, room 211. The meeting is a mandatory referenda writing workshop as well as a candidate informational meeting.

Atlanta Public Schools will be conducting on-campus interviews.
For more information, and to submit your resume if you qualify, log on to CaneTRAK at or call Toppel Career Center at 305-284-5451.

Missing Students: Columbine Revisited presents the Untold Story. Come hear about the extraordinary life of Rachel Scott. The program begins at 7:30 p.m. in Gusman Auditorium and is free to everybody.

Sigma Gamma Lambda hosts an informational session at 8 p.m. for all interested at the Rathskeller in the Lewis Room. For information contact

Attention all graduating seniors: the deadline to apply for May graduation is today. Applications must be done through the EASY system.

Are you in the process of selecting a major or considering a change of major? Are you possibly interested in adding a major? Toppel Career Center will have a Majors Fair from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Whitten University Center Lower Lounge. Come talk with faculty representatives from these schools and colleges: Arts & Sciences, Business, Communication, Education and Nursing. The Pre-Law and Honors Programs will also have representatives to whom you will be able to talk.

The Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholar Chapter will hold an Alumni-Mentor Reception at 7 p.m. in the UC 233. Direct any questions to

The Wellness Center will be hosting preliminary rounds of a 3-Point contest. To sign up contact Jason Caroll at 305-284-8518.

Attention all international students: You are invited to Kaplan’s GMAT Thursdays. Every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. you can take a FREE practice test. For more information call 305-284-0090.

Don’t miss TOEFL Tuesday at Kaplan, the World Leader in Test Prep. Every Tuesday you are invited to take a FREE practice test from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information or to sign up call 305-284-0090.

Join the Wellness Center on Wednesday, Feb. 12 between 5 and 7 p.m. in the Atrium for Healthy Heart Day. The event will provide you with information to protect both your physical and your emotional heart.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. Fortunately, certain types of heart disease can be controlled, even prevented, by applying basic principles of wellness such as stress and weight management, exercise and proper nutrition. The event will include free smoothies, condoms, blood pressure screenings and body composition checks. Information will be available on nutrition, healthy relationships and preventing STDs and sexual assault. For more information, contact 305-284-6524.

Student Government applications are now available for the following positions: Student Government President, Student Government Vice-President, Student Government Treasurer, College of Arts & Sciences Senator (2 positions available), School of Business Senator, College of Engineering Senator, School of Communications Senator, School of Education Senator, School of Nursing Senator, School of Music Senator, School of Architecture Senator, Commuter North Senator, Commuter South Senator and Commuter Central Senator. Applications can be picked up in the UC room 209. You have until Friday, Feb. 9 at 5 p.m. to submit your completed application. Elections are scheduled to be held Feb. 24-26 with results being announced Feb. 27 at 5 p.m.

We The Students is a new social/political issue talk show coming to UMTV this spring. Its purpose is to raise student interest and participation on campus about those issues. It will also be a live audience show so students can come watch and participate in it by questioning the guests and panelists. Currently, the program is recruiting students for on-air panelists, production crew and a PR staff. Auditions for panelists are Monday and Tuesday, Feb. 3 and 4, in Studio C of the School of Communication from 4:30 – 6:30 pm. Be dressed in business casual attire and ready to debate the war on Iraq, abortion or the legalization of marijuana for three to five minutes. It’s your choice which issue you’ll debate at the audition.
Sign-up for the show and auditions by the front desk of the faculty offices on the second floor of the School of Communication. If interested or for more information contact Pierre Gaunaurd at 786-586-3845 or

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...