Sports Briefs

Track
UM freshman Travarous Bain(Miami Northwestern) won the 200-meters in a time of 22.02 and finished second in the 60-meters with a time of 6.87 to lead the Hurricanes men’s track and field team at the Maryland Invitational in Landover, MD.
Bain, a defensive back on the Hurricanes’ football team, was one of two Miami sprinters to finish in the top three of the event. Freshman Glen Sharpe took third with a time of 22.30.
UM dominated the 60-meters placing five runners in the top-10. Joining Bain were sophomore Tanard Davis who finished third (6.87), Terell Walden who placed sixth (6.90), Glen Sharpe who took eighth (6.93) and Roscoe Parrish who placed ninth (6.99).
On the women’s side, freshman Charlotte Greggs won the 400-meters with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 54.30, and senior Adrienne Moss) broke school-records in the shot put (15.02m/49-03.50) and weight throw (16.22m/53-02.75) to lead the 20th-ranked Hurricanes at the Maryland Invitational.
Greggs, who provisionally qualified for the NCAA Championships in the 200-meters with a victory at the Florida Invitational last weekend, also anchored the victorious 4×400-meter relay of freshman Dominique Darden, senior All-America Jamillah Wade and junior All-American Kitoya Carter. The team’s winning time of 3:41.57 provisionally qualifies them for the NCAA Indoor Championships.
Moss, who won the shot put and finished third in the weight throw, shattered her own school mark in the shot put by nearly two feet, and surpassed the former school-record in the weight throw by three feet.
All-Americans Gina Harris and Sharianne Lawson also won events on Saturday. Lawson finished first in the 60-meter hurdles with an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 8.31, while Harris won the 60-meter dash in a time of 7.53.

Baseball
The Miami baseball team held its annual media day Thursday afternoon, as the 2003 Hurricanes and Head Coach Jim Morris addressed the upcoming season.
UM returns three everyday players from last year’s team, along with starting pitcher Dan Touchet and closer George Huguet.
“First of all the game starts with pitching,” Morris said. “You have to pitch well to win big games. You have to pitch to go to Omaha and win. We have to establish our starting rotation. We only have one returning starter in Dan Touchet, so the two, three and four spots in the rotation are open. We have to have consistency in our bullpen, particularly late with George Huguet, and whoever else is down there with him.”
Jim Burt returns to lead the Canes’ offense after hitting .322 last season with nine home runs and 48 RBI. He is slated to be the Hurricanes starting first baseman in 2003. Twins Danny and Paco Figueroa return to anchor the UM defense in center field and shortstop. Both hit .300 at the plate last season and should be a spark at the top of the UM lineup.
UM will open the season with the Alumni Game on Saturday, Feb. 1, at 7 p.m. at Mark Light Field. UM will then open the season on Wednesday, Feb. 5, at 7 p.m. with a home game against FIU.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...