Shalala promotes Lewis, Morris of the School of Medicine

President Donna E. Shalala has appointed Jerry Lewis as UM’s VP for communications and Christine Morris as associate VP for communications for the School of Medicine.
“I love working with faculty,” Lewis said. “University’s are great places to work. I am really looking forward to working closer with President Shalala.”
“[Lewis] brings depth and breadth of knowledge, experience, talent, and enthusiasm,” Shalala said. “He is a respected communications professional, known for his vision, organization, and collegiality.”
Lewis, a 14-year veteran of UM was promoted from his position as assistant VP for communications at the School of Medicine. His responsibilities will include media and community relations, web developments, and marketing efforts. One of his biggest tasks will be the UM’s fundraising campaign, which will try to raise money for scholarships and new buildings, among other things. In the past, Lewis has held positions at Virginia Commonwealth University, Marine Oil Corp., and at Office of the Governor and the Department of Planning and Budget in Virginia.
Lewis says he is excited to be back on the Coral Gables campus.
“It feels like home,” he said.
Shalala believes that Lewis will be an asset to the UM community.
“Jerry Lewis is a respected professional with a strong background in higher education and communications,” Shalala said. “One of his top priorities is developing and executing the communications strategy for the University of Miami’s upcoming comprehensive fundraising campaign.”
Morris, who was promoted from the position of executive director of Media Relations, will now be responsible for the communication, media relations, and marketing for the medical campus. Prior to joining UM last year, Morris was a journalist and held positions with The Miami Herald and The Courier-Journal in Louisville, KT.
Morris says the first call of duty will be to concentrate on the 50th Anniversary of the School of Medicine and the ceremony that will be held next Friday. The ceremony will be broadcast live on the web.
Lewis and Morris worked together for a year at the School of Medicine. Shalala has often referred to them as “the fearsome twosome”.
“We make a real strong team,” Morris said. “We will continue to tell the story of the University of Miami.”

Kathleen Fordyce can be contacted at K4Dice@aol.com

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...