Gaudy statistics are not what motivate James

If there were ever any doubts about Tamara James not living up to her potential, then those doubts have now been erased.
James received Big East Rookie of the Week Honors on Jan. 13 for the fifth time this season, and has lead Miami to an 11-4 record. The freshman from Dania posted far-from-modest numbers of 28.5 points and eight rebounds per game during the week, helping the ‘Lady Canes to victories over Syracuse and Notre Dame.
James is currently ranked sixth in the nation in scoring, averaging 24.8 points on the season. Her five Big East Rookie of the Week notices are only two short of record-holder Rebecca Lobo, who earned seven while at the University of Connecticut during the 1991-92 season.
James is quick to point out that the accolades make her feel blessed as an individual, and that she would be happy to break Lobo’s record. But she says her immediate goal is to make it to the NCAA Tournament with the help of the rest of the team.
“Our chemistry is great,” James said. “That’s where a lot of our success is coming from.”
During her time at South Broward High School, James led the team to state championships in both her junior and senior years. She was named MVP of the state tournament in 2001, and averaged 23 points per game in her junior season. She attributes much of her success to her hard-working parents.
“They have been my greatest role-models [growing up],” James said. “They always found a way to give us what we wanted.”
After mulling over a vast list of basketball powerhouses in Georgia, Florida, and across the country, James signed with UM in November of 2001. The 5-9 guard/forward said that the opportunity close to home heavily influenced her decision.
Basketball consumes most of Tamara’s physical energy, but when she’s not on the court, she prefers being mellow, partaking in light activities such as reading or listening to music.
James put up 20 points and had 21 rebounds in UM’s opener against South Florida in November, and followed that up with a season-high 36 points over Quinnipiac in the Wisconsin-Green Bay Tournament later in the month. She earned back-to-back Rookie of the Week Honors in late November and early December, posting an impressive 27.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 3.3 assists per game during that span. Tamara gives the staff a lot of credit for the team’s good record.
“The coaching [here]is great,” James said. “They stay on us and make us work hard.”
James has been the ‘Canes high-scorer in all but one game this season. She has also recorded five double-doubles, earning the latest one against Syracuse with 30 points and 10 rebounds. James was also selected to the All-Tournament Team at the Gatorade Holiday Classic in late December.
Tamara’s long-term goal is to join the WNBA after finishing her educational career at UM. But for now, she’s concentrating on the ‘Canes.
“I try to lead by example,” James said. “I play every game like it’s the last game.”

You can reach Melissa Teich at melissateich@hotmail.com.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...