Chartwells brings the Crepemaker to campus

The Crepemaker, the new crepe stand between the UC and the Rock, near the convenience store entrance, has attracted hundreds of students in its first week of operation and its popularity is expected to grow.
“We get about 200 people a day,” Zeus Juman, manager of Crepemaker, said.
Currently, the stand offers a variety of crepes, ranging from dessert crepes to salad crepes. Sandwich-like crepes and breakfast crepes are also on the menu.
“The stand is planned for the semester, sort of as a trial,” Juman said.
According to Chartwells, in 1995, UM had a crepe stand on campus similar to Crepemaker.
“We had requests to bring it back,” said Mel Tenen, UM Director of Auxiliary Services. “Considerable student feedback has led to the return of this popular item.”
“I hope it becomes a permanent part of the food court,” said Jamie Lamson, as she enjoyed her “triple treat” crepe, filled with bananas, strawberries and Nutella.
Not all students are pleased with the new crepe stand.
“I’m down to just eating the salads and from the deli,” sophomore Seth Severino said.
“I haven’t been there because I’m not paying $5 for a crepe,” Richards said.
Employees of the crepe stand, however, remain optimistic.
“Business should get better as people learn about it,” Juman said.
Tenen also added that there are plans for a full sushi concept in the food court scheduled for fall 2003.
Although most students are looking forward to the new menu option, some are skeptical.
“I don’t even really like cooked fish,” sophomore Kae Richards said. “Raw fish is out of the question.”
Chartwells is also planning an expansion of the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall. Early last summer, renovations led to 150 additional seats in the dining hall.
“There will be dramatic improvements,” Tenen said. “We will totally renovate the seating area, with a much expanded serving area.”
Most of the students interviewed by the Hurricane are happy that Chartwells is making an effort to improve student satisfaction in terms of food service and selections and that the company is always open to student feedback and suggestions.
“I think it’s great that Chartwells pays attention to students because we are their customers,” senior Minnie Peraza said. “It shows that they really care about us.”
Despite the enthusiasm displayed by Chartwells and students concerning the new meal additions, some students would rather see better food selections in the cafeterias and less expensive meal plans.
The most popular meal plan selection for Spring 2003 is $1,611 per semester for 14 meals a week and 150 “dining dollars.” All incoming freshmen are required to register for this plan, regardless of personal preference.
“I dropped my meal plan this semester because I hated the food,” sophomore Jon Hall said. “Then I spent all my spending money on food.”

Sam Lockhart can be contacted at s.lockhart1@umiami.edu

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...