Chartwells brings the Crepemaker to campus

The Crepemaker, the new crepe stand between the UC and the Rock, near the convenience store entrance, has attracted hundreds of students in its first week of operation and its popularity is expected to grow.
“We get about 200 people a day,” Zeus Juman, manager of Crepemaker, said.
Currently, the stand offers a variety of crepes, ranging from dessert crepes to salad crepes. Sandwich-like crepes and breakfast crepes are also on the menu.
“The stand is planned for the semester, sort of as a trial,” Juman said.
According to Chartwells, in 1995, UM had a crepe stand on campus similar to Crepemaker.
“We had requests to bring it back,” said Mel Tenen, UM Director of Auxiliary Services. “Considerable student feedback has led to the return of this popular item.”
“I hope it becomes a permanent part of the food court,” said Jamie Lamson, as she enjoyed her “triple treat” crepe, filled with bananas, strawberries and Nutella.
Not all students are pleased with the new crepe stand.
“I’m down to just eating the salads and from the deli,” sophomore Seth Severino said.
“I haven’t been there because I’m not paying $5 for a crepe,” Richards said.
Employees of the crepe stand, however, remain optimistic.
“Business should get better as people learn about it,” Juman said.
Tenen also added that there are plans for a full sushi concept in the food court scheduled for fall 2003.
Although most students are looking forward to the new menu option, some are skeptical.
“I don’t even really like cooked fish,” sophomore Kae Richards said. “Raw fish is out of the question.”
Chartwells is also planning an expansion of the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall. Early last summer, renovations led to 150 additional seats in the dining hall.
“There will be dramatic improvements,” Tenen said. “We will totally renovate the seating area, with a much expanded serving area.”
Most of the students interviewed by the Hurricane are happy that Chartwells is making an effort to improve student satisfaction in terms of food service and selections and that the company is always open to student feedback and suggestions.
“I think it’s great that Chartwells pays attention to students because we are their customers,” senior Minnie Peraza said. “It shows that they really care about us.”
Despite the enthusiasm displayed by Chartwells and students concerning the new meal additions, some students would rather see better food selections in the cafeterias and less expensive meal plans.
The most popular meal plan selection for Spring 2003 is $1,611 per semester for 14 meals a week and 150 “dining dollars.” All incoming freshmen are required to register for this plan, regardless of personal preference.
“I dropped my meal plan this semester because I hated the food,” sophomore Jon Hall said. “Then I spent all my spending money on food.”

Sam Lockhart can be contacted at

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...