Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

A varsity intercollegiate women’s fast-pitch softball team should be included among UM’s sports teams. It is long, long overdue.
About fifteen years ago the public high schools here switched their girls softball teams from slow pitch to fast pitch, because it’s a better sport and so that local high school girls could apply for college athletic scholarships.
Since then, Florida International University has competed impressively in intercollegiate women’s fast-pitch softball, with awesome local players. So has Miami-Dade Community College.
The Miami area has become the nation’s biggest source of young baseball (Alex Rodriguez, Jose Canseco) – and now it’s becoming the biggest source of high school women softball players as well, many of who stay in Florida to play their college ball.
Go and watch high school or FIU teams play this spring. You’ll see excellent, well-coached women softball players at well-attended games. They should be playing for UM.

Andy Golan
UM Alumnus

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...