Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Earnest Crumbley scored 25 points and hit a school-record eight 3-pointers, as Florida Atlantic beat Miami for the first time Tuesday, 74-73 in overtime.
Miami’s James Jones, who led the Hurricanes with 19 points, missed the final shot in overtime to give FAU its first win in 16 tries against Miami.
The Owls (4-3) scored the first six points of overtime, and held Miami to 1-of-5 shooting from the field in the extra period.
Jeff Cowans scored 12 points and Nick Neumann added 10 for the Owls.
Darius Rice and Robert Hite each had 12 for Miami (3-1). Rice played only 25 minutes because of foul trouble.
The loss snapped Miami’s 27-game winning streak against teams from the state of Florida, dating back to 1992, as well as its 20-game regular-season winning streak against non-conference opponents.
Hite could have tied the game for Miami with 47 seconds left in overtime but missed the first of two free throws. The Hurricanes got their last chance by forcing a Crumbley turnover with eight seconds left, but Jones missed at the buzzer.
Crumbley scored the Owls’ final nine points of regulation, including a game tying 3-pointer with 44 seconds left. He was 8-of-15 from 3-point range in the game, while Miami missed all but two of its 17 tries from behind the arc.
UM Swimming
Several members of the University of Miami swimming team are competing in the US Open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in Minneapolis, Minn. The competition began yesterday and resumes today and tomorrow.
Among those competing will be top Hurricanes Christine Williams (Trenton, NJ), Manon Van Rooijen (Westdorpe, Holland), Katalin Ferenczi (Pa’ Pa’, Hungary), and Megan Kinsella (Calgary, Canada).
Van Rooijen will participate in the 200-yard IM, the 100 freestyle and the 200 freestyle. Williams will race in sprint events including the 50, 100 and 200 free, while Ferenczi will compete in the 100 and 200 backstroke.
Kinsella will take to the lanes for the Hurricanes in the 100 and 200 free.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...