Convocation Center welcomes Coldplay

British rock group Coldplay is set to bring brainfreeze to fans at UM’s new Convocation Center on Jan. 22.
Coldplay has enjoyed success with hits such as “Trouble” and “Yellow” from their critically lauded debut album, Parachutes. Their latest album, A Rush of Blood to the Head, was released in August. The singles “In My Head” and “Clocks” are currently receiving air play throughout the country.
As the second stop on the band’s North American tour, this will be the first concert event for the center and is being met with great optimism and anticipation, according to organizers and students.
“Coldplay should be an exciting concert for the students,” said Christi Soltz, director of marketing at the Convocation Center. “[We are] proud to bring this caliber of event to the University’s campus.”
“I’m overjoyed and actually surprised that they’re coming,” freshman Ayelet Regev said. “I’m definitely going to go.”
“[Coldplay] will be amazing because they are genuine artists,” Regev said. “Their music is more instrumental than most and what you see will be authentic.”
UM students are not the only prospective attendees, as the concert is open to all.
“I’m making plans to come down and see them,” said Renzo Diaz, a freshman at the University of Florida and avid fan. “Unlike the large majority of rock acts today that are hyped up to celebrity status only to become part of a fad, Coldplay seems to be one of the very few bands that will stand the test of time.”
WVUM 90.5 is currently running spots on the concert and plans on doing ticket giveaways.
“To tell you the truth I’m not too thrilled that we are promoting this show. After all, we don’t play Coldplay’s music on WVUM,” said Brian Hunker, promotions director at WVUM. “They get played on Y-100 and many other Clear Channel stations across the country.”
Hunker said that, in the past, the radio station has stopped playing REM, Nirvana and the White Stripes, among others, because they became well-known musical groups.
“It’s just that once bands break through certain barriers we get started on the next batch of worthy unknowns,” Hunker said.
Besides a concert hall, the Convocation Center is also the future home of Hurricane basketball and is located across from the University Metrorail Station. Jan. 4, 2003 marks the first men’s basketball game to be held there, as they go up against North Carolina.
Concert tickets – covering parking and tax – are available on campus at the UC Ticketmaster window from 12 to 2 p.m.The cost is $32.75. For more information, visit www.ticketmaster.com.

Christina Guzman can be contacted at christina_mongoose@hotmail.com.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...