CHECK YOURSELF: WVUM’s Top 10 of 2K2 Part 1 10 thru 6

Well, the year is coming to an end, and so it’s obligatory that I make a list of the top ten records of the year. Since I’m a lazy bitch, I’m just going to use the list of the radio station’s 10 favorite CDs of 2002, because my list really doesn’t differ much from it anyway. For those of you who still buy CDs, buy these CDs. For those who do all your shopping via SoulSeek, buy these CDs. It’s worth it.

10
Oxes
Oxxxes
Wow. Just wow. If you didn’t see them play the Polish American with Trans Am (Trans Who?), kick yourself firmly in the ass. This is powerfully energetic instrumental music that provides the perfect combination of bookshelf shaking jams and creative dissonance.

9
Songs: Ohia
Didn’t it Rain
Molina and Co. return on yet another fantastic album from Songs:Ohia. In most discussions about the group, the word “haunting” comes up. I can’t say I disagree.

8
Mum
Finally We are No One
Mum’s second album features a lot more organic instrumentation,
making their live show a spectacle to behold. This is the perfect album to “borrow” from your girlfriend and listen to when no one is looking. If you happen to get caught, just say you like it ’cause the twin singers are hot.

7
Hayden
Skyscraper National Park
Easily one of my personal top three for the year, Hayden sequestered himself for three years, and was finally able to emerge with a fluid album. Start to stop, this record is a must-have for cool-weather road trips with the windows down. Shit, this record makes me want to own a Cabrio and make a stupid VW commercial.

6
Sonic Youth
Murray Street
I fought the idea of this album just as much as I tried to fight Wilco’s, but producer/member Jim O’Rourke just ruins my life by making critically acclaimed albums that appeal to even the snobbiest of tastes.

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...